unlocking a navigation radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have looked at some others, also pioneer. But sort of decided that I'd like to keep the truck OEM/factory (same style buttons, lights etc etc)

I used to have an alpine radio in an Audi I once owned.

Here is the best solution in my opinion:

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/cs-gm1210-ca/

I bought this unit from Walt at ADC mobile and am very pleased. I have an '08 Suburban LTZ that came with the Navi from the factory and I have always hated it. This new unit is light years ahead of the factory Navi and everything is plug & play without any extra modules/adaptors to buy and install. It maintains all the factory controls and, when off, looks like the factory head unit which makes it less likely that you will end up with a busted window and a hole in your dash. Mine has the Bose system and this head unit makes it sound so much better... you can actually tell there is a sub woofer under the console now.

I know yours is slightly different because of it being a SSV so you won't have Bose or steering wheel controls (unless you swap wheels) but this unit comes with separate wiring harnesses for Bose and NON-Bose systems so since yours doesn't have it the head unit will put out more power since it is feeding the speakers directly instead of an amp.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the best solution in my opinion:

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/cs-gm1210-ca/

I bought this unit from Walt at ADC mobile and am very pleased. I have an '08 Suburban LTZ that came with the Navi from the factory and I have always hated it. This new unit is light years ahead of the factory Navi and everything is plug & play without any extra modules/adaptors to buy and install. It maintains all the factory controls and, when off, looks like the factory head unit which makes it less likely that you will end up with a busted window and a hole in your dash. Mine has the Bose system and this head unit makes it sound so much better... you can actually tell there is a sub woofer under the console now.

I know yours is slightly different because of it being a SSV so you won't have Bose or steering wheel controls (unless you swap wheels) but this unit comes with separate wiring harnesses for Bose and NON-Bose systems so since yours doesn't have it the head unit will put out more power since it is feeding the speakers directly instead of an amp.

Hi there,

sounds like a newer/better (annd less expensive) system. I opted for factory for a few reasons,
[1]: it is plug and play, it (should) just plug into the wiring harness.
[2]: the 'looks' are the same as the rest of the dash
[3]: the rear audio controls, if I ever want to do something with plugs right in the back of it (it says)

I want to replace the steering wheel with the one with all controls at some point.

Ron

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hi there,

sounds like a newer/better (annd less expensive) system. I opted for factory for a few reasons,
[1]: it is plug and play, it (should) just plug into the wiring harness.
[2]: the 'looks' are the same as the rest of the dash
[3]: the rear audio controls, if I ever want to do something with plugs right in the back of it (it says)

I want to replace the steering wheel with the one with all controls at some point.

Ron

I was terribly displeased with the factory Navi unit in my '08.... perhaps the newer units are better.... at least I hope so for your sake.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was terribly displeased with the factory Navi unit in my '08.... perhaps the newer units are better.... at least I hope so for your sake.

well, I know I am taking a gamble on the navigation, I count on the AM/FM being at least as good as the basics. Other than that I just looked for a good fit and the extras are just a plus. It's more a convenience and factory look thing.
I use a Garmin GPS now, and I like it, but it's THEIR thing, GM with their radios, I dunno, it might not just be all that, but it seems to all fit nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts