unlocking a navigation radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking into buying an OEM navigation radio for my 2013 SSV, but more than likely it needs to be "unlocked". From what I read one needs to have the donor VIN for that.

Is that all that is needed? and is it something you can do yourself?

thanks,

Ron

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at alpine they make a really nice after market unit for your truck

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at alpine they make a really nice after market unit for your truck

I have looked at some others, also pioneer. But sort of decided that I'd like to keep the truck OEM/factory (same style buttons, lights etc etc)

I used to have an alpine radio in an Audi I once owned.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have looked at some others, also pioneer. But sort of decided that I'd like to keep the truck OEM/factory (same style buttons, lights etc etc)

I used to have an alpine radio in an Audi I once owned.

There was a thread recently on an easy DIY permanent unlock. I think you just have to yank a chip out of it. I'll see if I can find it.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread recently on an easy DIY permanent unlock. I think you just have to yank a chip out of it. I'll see if I can find it.

Now that would be easy. (and makes kinda sense) I talked to a GM dealer yesterday, they want $50 plus tax, which is not too bad.

)I heard one also needs to reconfigure/reprogram something to use a factory back up camera attached to a factory nav-radio

Ron

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Now that would be easy. (and makes kinda sense) I talked to a GM dealer yesterday, they want $50 plus tax, which is not too bad.

)I heard one also needs to reconfigure/reprogram something to use a factory back up camera attached to a factory nav-radio

Ron

I'm no audio expert, and don't know about the camera thing, but here's the thread I was referring to.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/permanently-unlock-gm-radios-for-free-diy.98706/#post-1180947

Edit: I see now that it says 00-06. Don't know about NNBS. I would hit up youtube.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no audio expert, and don't know about the camera thing, but here's the thread I was referring to.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/permanently-unlock-gm-radios-for-free-diy.98706/#post-1180947

Edit: I see now that it says 00-06. Don't know about NNBS. I would hit up youtube.

I am not a audio/video expert either, but I can connect wires together and cut a hole in a piece of plastic, buy a new part and try to cut that hole again. (although instead of prying that chip off I'd probably solder it off)
Also, the radio is an 04 or 06. mine is a 14. I'd suspect that 'authentication' part to be integrated into some chip set by now. (so it might not be that simple any more).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic