Two Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaford72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Yukon Denali and have had two issues come up that I would like some thoughts on. The first issue is that when I start the Yukon it will sound like it is cranking then grind the starter. On the second attempt it starts right up. When I have driven it for a period of time it will usually start on the first crank but I still get the starter grind sound. The sound is similar to that if an engine is running and you turn the key. Is this an issue with the starter not disengaging quickly enough?

Second issue is that from time to time I will get my brake light and ABS light to both pop on and stay on until I turn off the engine. Brakes work just fine. Was told be previous owner that he recently replaced a brake line. I have taken Yukon to various auto parts stores when lights are on and told that they cannot run codes to see what it going on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Yukon Denali and have had two issues come up that I would like some thoughts on. The first issue is that when I start the Yukon it will sound like it is cranking then grind the starter. On the second attempt it starts right up. When I have driven it for a period of time it will usually start on the first crank but I still get the starter grind sound. The sound is similar to that if an engine is running and you turn the key. Is this an issue with the starter not disengaging quickly enough?

Second issue is that from time to time I will get my brake light and ABS light to both pop on and stay on until I turn off the engine. Brakes work just fine. Was told be previous owner that he recently replaced a brake line. I have taken Yukon to various auto parts stores when lights are on and told that they cannot run codes to see what it going on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the starter and have it tested at a local auto parts store. They should do it for free. Also while the starter is off put the vehicle on jack stands and while in neutral check the teeth on the flexplate for any damage.

And also while you have the vehicle safely raised and supported check the wheel bearings for excessive end play. The second issue you're describing sounds like you may have a hub bearing or possibly just the wheel speed sensor itself failing. Your local auto parts stores should have obd2 scanners with abs capabilities they probably just don't know how to access the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645