Tweet tweet, where to put my tweets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone! new to the forum, looks like a great place for info and since I'm likely to be a chevy tahoe owner for the rest of my life (love this friggen car) i'll likely be posting here intermittently.

Anyways,

I've searched a lot, and there are threads on this same topic, but I want to know where people place the tweeters in their Hoes?

I've heard a lot of discussion about placing it in the original place (within the speaker grill) for the front speakers, but I've also seen discussions about putting them in the A pillar or up near the dashboard, as the new Tahoes have them up there. You would think that since the newer models have them on the A pillar that it is a better place to have them?

I've also seen people install them here: tweeter.jpg

And what about the rear tweeters? Would you recommend placing component mid-woofers in the rear seat grills and then running the component wiring all the way to the D-pillar and replacing the OEM tweeters? Or fabricating a spot within the grill and placing the tweeter near the mid-woofers?

What about putting the tweeters up on the B or C pillar for the rear?

There has been a lot of discussion in several different threads, and I think it would be good to get a lot of that information consolidated into one thread, so if you have an opinion on this please reply! I'm throwing in my new audio system this weekend, so hopefully people will chime in and persuade me one way or the other.

Discuss.

Last edited:

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recommendation:

Amp'd comps up front, mids in the stock location, and tweets in the pillars firing off axis. Don't both with rear fill. 100RMS on a front stage with solid deadening and a solid set of comps is plenty loud enough. Adding more speakers in the rear just detracts from the front stage.

If you're dead set of running rear speakers, I'd either run them off of HU power so that they're attenuated or run them without tweets, you don't want to be pulling the soundstage into the back seat, it should be coming from the middle of your hood (beyond the windshield).

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of speakers, amps and tweets did you buy? I got my sub amp and sub picked, just not the components or an amp for them picked out quite yet. I'm leaning toward 2 sets of the 6.5 Boston acoustics for the components with a Rockford 400.2 amp. I'm also deciding if I want to keep the stock HU or get a new one. Decisions, decisions! ill probably need to do the Big 3 too.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of speakers, amps and tweets did you buy? I got my sub amp and sub picked, just not the components or an amp for them picked out quite yet. I'm leaning toward 2 sets of the 6.5 Boston acoustics for the components with a Rockford 400.2 amp. I'm also deciding if I want to keep the stock HU or get a new one. Decisions, decisions! ill probably need to do the Big 3 too.

I'd recommend a new HU. It allows you to completely bypass any of the stock wiring and run all fresh wiring to the new speakers and amps, gives more tuning, and iPod integration (assuming you buy an iPod deck).

How much power are you going to run? If you're running under 1000RMS, you'll most likely be fine with using the stock wiring.

OP
OP
C

cater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i bought two sets of the boston acoustic SC60's, a kenwood bt900 head unit, kicker 1000.5 amp (65rms to the speakers and 500w to the sub), and a 10" jl 3x3 subwoofer. I copied JL audios 'stealthbox' design and remade one that is similar.

i'm just waiting on the rest of the install because i want to figure out where exactly to put my tweeters.

Amp'd comps up front, mids in the stock location, and tweets in the pillars firing off axis.

what pillar are you referring to? are you saying put my front speaker component tweeters up in the A pillar facing toward the windshield? sorry if im missing something obvious here.

and i completely agree with you on that I shouldn't be worrying about sound in the way back. its all about the soundstage for the driver/passenger

Last edited:

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought two sets of the boston acoustic SC60's, a kenwood bt900 head unit, kicker 1000.5 amp (65rms to the speakers and 500w to the sub), and a 10" jl 3x3 subwoofer. I copied JL audios 'stealthbox' design and remade one that is similar.

i'm just waiting on the rest of the install because i want to figure out where exactly to put my tweeters.

what pillar are you referring to? are you saying put my front speaker component tweeters up in the A pillar facing toward the windshield? sorry if im missing something obvious here.

and i completely agree with you on that I shouldn't be worrying about sound in the way back. its all about the soundstage for the driver/passenger

I meant to say sail panels, I don't why I said the pillars. The sail panel is that little triangle panel inside of the mirror, the location shown in that picture in your OP. My tweets are installed in the uppermost location inside the speaker grill on the front doors (about at me knees), and with placement and tuning, my stage height is pretty decent. I would have put them in the sails, but my tweets with the tweet cups wouldn't fit in the sails without smacking the dash when I shut the door.

With two sets of speaker I'm assuming you're going to run front and rear speakers, right? I'd recommend running the gain on the rears much lower so you aren't pulling the soundstage back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnetman59

Latest posts