Tune Payback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pittmanb8

Reaction score
Does anyone have any guestimates or numbers on a potential payback timeline for the blackbear tune?

Putting performance aside, how long would it take for the MPG increase to pay for the tune? I thought I had read someone that some are experiencing a 1-2 MPG increase. Assuming 15,000 miles / year and if the tune increases 1 MPG, that would be a savings of 62.5 gallons / year.

Also, would a tune for higher octane help out the payback timeline (considering the higher cost of gas)?

Does anyone have any numbers, opinions, or ideas?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me, my payback was right after I left getting Justin to tune it. I really, really liked the added performance enough that cash outlay didn't matter.
If you compare tune from 89 to 93, on a normal fill up is less than a hamburger and coke. But the power difference is huge.
If you do like I did, wait for about a year to try to justify a true payback, you'll regret missing a year once you do get it.
I have done wheels, exhaust, paint, lowering,etc and the tune is by far the funnest change.

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me, my payback was right after I left getting Justin to tune it. I really, really liked the added performance enough that cash outlay didn't matter.
If you compare tune from 89 to 93, on a normal fill up is less than a hamburger and coke. But the power difference is huge.
If you do like I did, wait for about a year to try to justify a true payback, you'll regret missing a year once you do get it.
I have done wheels, exhaust, paint, lowering,etc and the tune is by far the funnest change.

Agreed 100%

I was never looking for a payback when I got mine, I was looking to get better performance and Justin did not dissappoint.. Love the skinny pedal again..

OP
OP
P

pittmanb8

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's support on how great the tune is and how the performance alone is worth it, however, does anyone have any data on SAVINGS from the tune- for example someone might have the following experience: "Before I got my tune I was getting 15.1 MPG and post tune I get 16.5 MPG. My tune included a 93 octane tune." If someone has a similar experience, please share.

I'm not waiting for the payback to justify the tune, I am just wondering if out of all the people that speak so highly of the tune that someone would have some information about potential $$$ payback.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gained 2 MPG, went from HWY 18 to almost 21 MPG

around town average about 1 MPG, but I really need to change gears to make up for taller tires.

208motors

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FYI if you devide the cost per gallon by your average mpg, your answer is the cost per mile for that fuel grade. i.e. $3 per gallon devided by 13mpg = approx 23 cents per mile.

91 octane is usually 20 cents per gallon more than 87 octane in Idaho. Assuming you get 1 mile per gallon better...

$3.20 per gallon devided by 14 costs you 22.8 cents per gallon. Basically, as long as you get 1 mile per gallon better mileage with premium gas, it is cheaper to run premium gas.

If $200 reprogram nets you 2 miles per gallon improvement with 91 octane it will take roughly 6600 miles to recover your investment souly on gas mileage.

TX LTZHoe 07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep a very detailed spreadsheet on fuel mileage for all of my vehicles. I just got the Tahoe tuned last week, and immediately noticed a 1.5mpg improvement on the rest of that tank. I will be collecting more data so that I can determine what the OP was looking for.

My estimate based on the 1.5 mpg improvement is approximately 9-12 months, based on 20,000 miles per year and originally i was averaging 15.3 mpg (after 6,000 miles).

Will report back after a few more tanks are run through her.

208motors

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ahhh some one as obsessive as I am about the details. I look forward to your findings.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep a very detailed spreadsheet on fuel mileage for all of my vehicles. I just got the Tahoe tuned last week, and immediately noticed a 1.5mpg improvement on the rest of that tank. I will be collecting more data so that I can determine what the OP was looking for.

My estimate based on the 1.5 mpg improvement is approximately 9-12 months, based on 20,000 miles per year and originally i was averaging 15.3 mpg (after 6,000 miles).

Will report back after a few more tanks are run through her.

Ahhh some one as obsessive as I am about the details. I look forward to your findings.
Hahaha...I love it. I'm right there with you guys. I'm an engineer, though...I make spreadsheets and trend evvvvvvvvvvvveryyyyyyyyythinnnnnnnnngggggg. Haha...

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im only getting 14.6 avg. i just bought a CAI and will be doing exhaust in a month or 2 and then hopefully doing a tune in march if they still come to GA. i hope to at least be at at least 16 by the time everything is said and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA