2020 Tahoe Premier Smash or Pass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been flirting with the idea of buying a K2XX (specifically) Tahoe/Yukon for awhile now. I've kept my feelers out in my area for a few months and this recently arrived at my local dealer:

2020 Tahoe Premier Plus
6.2L, 4WD, 10L90, 83K miles
1 owner, corporate vehicle, clean Carfax (link below)
Mahogany Interior
Asking Price: $42K

Aside from the mileage being a bit higher than I would like, it checks all the blocks on my "want" list. My questions for 15-20 owners:

What has your experience been with your K2XX?

Aside from DOD (which I will tune out and eventually delete), what issues have you experienced?

Based on your experiences, could you recommend this vehicle to a prospective owner?

Essentially... smash or pass?

The pics suck on the ad, they literally just got it in. I stopped by yesterday and briefly looked at it and luckily escaped before a salesman sniffed me out.

Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...l9iu_Avny4cc2L05AhGne6rWd0hUo8nk7ZdDQsgjWuQtA

hoe.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a well featured truck, especially with the 6.2. The asking price seems high, but I don't have any quantitative data to support my belief. What is the Blue Book value for that truck in good condition?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
K2’s are solid in my experience. I’m on my 3rd. 6.2 and 10 speed for the win! Make it happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a well featured truck, especially with the 6.2. The asking price seems high, but I don't have any quantitative data to support my belief. What is the Blue Book value for that truck in good condition?
Private party is 41K, trade 39K on KBB, assuming it's in "very good" condition. It is the only non-denali I have come across within 200mi that has all the features I want, my only hesitation is the mileage with the known DOD issues, but it comes with the 1 year certified warranty. Any issue after that I would go with a delete.

Runfor5

Reaction score
LOL at the post title.
The price seems a touch high to me, especially for a non-XL/Suburban. I've began lightly browsing for XL Denali's (also the 6.2) of this gen, and while the 2020's seem to command higher pricing than the '18-19's (historical transmission issues have me focusing on the later half of this generation) presumably because they're newer, those still seem to be in the $40k range (<100k miles) with the Chevy equivalents cheaper.

All that said if you like it and it checks your boxes go start negotiating! Also it appears to have lived its life in a non-salt environment so that's a huge positive in my view (NC and FL per CarFax).

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2016 Tahoe LT [5.3] brand new in October 2016. I now have 169K miles.

Even though I had to replace the transmission at 125K miles [the warranty now is to 225K miles] and replaced the A/C Condenser at 80K miles I still love it.

Still have the original brakes in the rear but changed out the front brakes twice.

Thermostat went belly up at 150K miles while on a road trip. Chevrolet dealer got me back on the road in a few short hours. Of coarse it happened on a weekend.

Still have the original plugs/wires. Still gets good mileage out on the highway.

Still 100% stock. Knock on wood with AFM. Still runs like brand new.

Rides awesome on Michelin Defender tires. I hate the ride on the Continental tires.

Gets serviced every 5K miles.

The price is slightly high for your 2020 your looking at but then again your getting the 6.2 which I do not have. I am very content with my 5.3 but that is just me.

If I were looking for a Tahoe right now it would be a 2019-2020.

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2016 Tahoe LT [5.3] brand new in October 2016. I now have 169K miles.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I had the 5.3 in my 16' Silverado and it was a great running truck, I'm just partial to the 6.2. I might consider trading my Camaro, and with this Tahoe having the 6.2, Camaro gauge cluster, HUD, etc. I think it'll still scratch that itch while I'm hauling the kids down I-75 lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar