truck died/No start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since i replaced the motor in my truck 3 years ago i have had zero problems. Although its been 3yrs ive only put 5200 miles on the truck. While i had everything apart i got a new dizzy, upgraded fuel injection spider assembly, msd coil and a few other things here and there. So here it is 3 yrs later and ive had some issues in the last 2 months. About a month and a half ago i took my truck through the car wash about a mile from the house. On the way home about 100yards from home the truck died. It was a little late but had a neighbor tow me home. Next morning around 10 i decided to go trouble shoot. Truck fired right up. Didnt think anything of it, figured since it was an automatic car wash maybe something got wet. just put it in the ole spank bank.

Didnt have a single problem up until 2 days ago. Someone was stuck in the mud so i went to give them a hand, got them out and hit a puddle on the way out. About 1/4 mile later the truck died again. I had to go to work so i left my truck where it was and came back later that night. Towed it home and went to bed. Next day about 930 decided to look into it. No start, sounds healthy cranking, so i started checking the obvious. Fuel was priming and there was pressure to the motor (dont know how much due to no press gauge), pulled the coil wire and i had spark, so i gave it one more shot and it started right up. Drove it around the block, shut it off and then started right back up. no problem, no CEL no miss fire, nothing.

Fast forward a few hours later. I move the truck out of the driveway to the side of the road to wash it. Wash the passenger side, get in the truck and start it up and moved it to the other side. Started right up. So i wash the rest of the truck. Go to put it back in the drive way and it wont start. Still cranks very healthy. Last night i went through the obvious checks, no soft codes, getting fuel, getting spark at the coil and #1 plug, security light goes off like its supposed to. So i went through the entire wiring in the engine bay, every connector was pulled and sprayed with electrical wash, pulled on every wire, checked all the grounds, ect. took me about 3 hrs. Still no start. At this point its 2am and im a little annoyed, and had a few beverages. Started thinking back to before i replaced the motor and what problems ive had. the spark didnt seem right as it was almost a full turn before the #1 lit off. light bulb goes off and i figured i would try one more thing while i clean up. Grab the wifes hair drier and put it on full heat pointing to the distributor. Half hr later i was done cleaning up my tools, figured i would give it one more shot. Started right up like nothing was wrong. Found the problem.

I know this is long winded but hopefully it can help someone else, and i do have a few questions. Is there any way to prevent this in the future? Im planning on pulling the cap (to replace it) and checking the drain holes and screens to make sure they are clean. Would die electric grease help? Any other ideas? this is super annoying

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
It's been 3 years already since our motors? Damn time flys. Cap is probably cracked letting moisture in?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would inspect the cap and dizzy as you sais to see what it looks like inside. Can't use dielectric grease inside tho. Dielectric grease on wire boots is okay but they are like not letting moisture in on to the terminals. Ideally some desiccant would be ideal on the vent openings but they won't stay put. I don't think the vents are good enough for the dizzy. Since it has two vents I would like to experiment with the idea of tying it in with the pcv system so it could draw clean air from the intake and have it sucks out using the pcv suction side. Great theory but have not done any work on it yet.

OP
OP
Ceejkay

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the cap and rotor. rotor looked ok but its cheap insrance. you guys also have to remember i live on the beach and its 80-100% humidity here all the time..

IMAG0011_zpslgndcmyu.jpg

OP
OP
Ceejkay

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so got the truck running. Figured i would hose down the engine bay since that was the original problem. Problem fixed :drink_nl:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev