no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poppa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys , I have some issues with my 94 Yukon. Took care of the plow issue , now it won't start. When I used it , it sucked so much juice it was going to die. Think battery was a problem spot , swapped in a spare I had on the trickle charger , still nothing . It started after I put the big charger on. Put in a new starter/solenoid , original had one small post this one has two. Now properly connected , same thing. When I pulled it to switch wires , I tested it and it worked as it should , put it back in and nothing. Nothing . Using my meter , I have power at the large wire on the starter , when my wife turns the key I have power at the small , purple , wire. I ran a jumper cable from the neg battery post to the case of the starter , nothing. Even though I have power , I checked all the fuses under the dash . What am I missing ?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're missing amperage. Just because it lights a test light doesn't mean it will spin a starter. What is the voltage at the battery? What is the voltage at the battery when you turn the key to start? Sounds like you either have a bad battery or a bad connection/cable between the battery and the starter.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have a remote starter switch, this next suggestion would be easier. If you have proper voltage at the large post of starter/positive battery cable and just jump across the large to the ignition switch small post, that starter should spin. Does the starter drive gear engage and it will not spin engine? Or does the gear not engage/move at all?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just reread your original post. You said it started after you put the big charger on it and then you installed a new starter/solenoid assembly? Why? What is voltage drop from one end of battery cable to the other?

OP
OP
P

Poppa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OR , nothing at all. Just tried a different battery , again , and nothing. I was going to try the jump you suggest but , put it off cuz really hard to get at the purple wire , may have to drop starter again. Wet , rainy and cold today. I will try a new neg cable and then I'll try the jump.
Thank you all for the quick replies !

OP
OP
P

Poppa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
put the big charger on and chargered it for a bit and switched it to jump start. Starter terminals were green , I just didn't want to deal with it in January or February.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't stress enough the battery terminals themselves and posts need to be free of all corrosion. I used to ignore this advice until it was the root cause of an intermittent no-crank situation I had going on for a while. Battery had voltage but the connection at the cables was so compromised it couldn't deliver the umph needed at the starter. Simple check and be thorough when cleaning it up.

Last edited:

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put the big charger on and chargered it for a bit and switched it to jump start. Starter terminals were green , I just didn't want to deal with it in January or February.
What do you mean the starter terminals were green? You switched starters battery cable and batteries how could anything be green?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan