Trim Packages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTsYUKON

Reaction score
What's the consensus here on the various trim packages for the GMC Yukon? In my understanding most trim packages are just moneymakers for auto manufacturers. My wife likes the Denali, but we have an SLT. I keep telling her to get the Denali wheels and she'll basically have a Denali. What are the major differences between the Denali and the SLT (2014)? Are they performance differences? And is it true with the Yukon that trim packages are basically big moneymakers for GMC?

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Denali has the 6.2 and a 6 speed transmission. Major difference in my opinion, plus all the bells and whistles. I haven’t had a 07-14 5.3 but I had a 00-06 with a 5.3, the 6.2 blows it out of the water and with the 6 speed they just feel ready to run at any moment.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 versus the 5.3 simply doesn’t compare. The extra torque and HP make it so much easier to drive. Especially when you have to turn into the gas station. Larger displacement eats fuel. The AWD driveline on the Denali is nice but unnecessary. I’d rather have the selectable 4WD but was willing to concede that to get more power. Great truck but so is the Tahoe LTZ. Just have to be ok with the smaller motor.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 versus the 5.3 simply doesn’t compare. The extra torque and HP make it so much easier to drive. Especially when you have to turn into the gas station. Larger displacement eats fuel. The AWD driveline on the Denali is nice but unnecessary. I’d rather have the selectable 4WD but was willing to concede that to get more power. Great truck but so is the Tahoe LTZ. Just have to be ok with the smaller motor.
The latest generation Yukon Denali now has selectable 4WD option. I agree in my 2006 the AWD wasn’t my first choice, I’d rather have selectable transfer case, but the AWD is quite capable. I live in a ski town that gets snow 4ish months out of the year, and I haven’t run into any snow situations where my AWD system couldn’t handle it.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife had 07 Escalade a few years ago and as has been mentioned already, the 6.2 is quite different from the 5.3 in others.

That doesn’t mean the 5.3 is any slouch, either, but there’s definitely a difference.

What comes to trim packages, of course they are moneymakers for the manufacturers. Just like the SUVs in general have always been. You gotta pay to play.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course trim levels make the company money, they are not a charity, they are in business to make a profit. The Denali's come with more creature comforts, chrome, a much larger engine, more sophisticated suspension and full time AWD. As for me and my house, I wanted a 4x4 not AWD so SLT for me with as many bells and whistles as possible.

So depending on the year there's usually 3 trim levels and various option packages that can be added in addition, to each his own.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more options, the more money/profit for the manufacturer.

Case in point: The sunroof is one of the most expensive options on a vehicle. Usually a $1500-$2000 or more cost if you tick that box on your build sheet.

Typical cost to the manufacturers? About $150. It's the second-highest profit margin option.

That being said, I'll keep my Denali and my heated seats, heated steering wheel, AWD, nicer wheels and bigger motor. And I love that grille.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can find some with most of the same options but I drove a 5.3 for a decade and wanted the 6.2, now I have the 6.2 the difference is very noticeable, yes it gets slightly less gas mileage but im ok with that, the awd really digs in on the corners which is nice it goes where you want it too no doubt. I still have my 03 Silverado 5.3 which feels like such a dog now compared to the 6 speed 6.2 when I drive it even with it weighing probably a thousand lbs less.

UKonBoi614

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So with everyone talking about the SLT vs the Denali... 5.3 vs 6.2... that's quite understandable in price difference. The other day i was talking to a friend and he told me that there's a SLT1 and a SLT2, so I've been trying to figure out which SLT i have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk