Transmission Temperature When Not Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calicajun

Reaction score
Read a lot of posts about transmission temperature while towing but didn't find anything on what transmission temperature should be while not towing. Driving home from work today the transmission temperature hit 165. May have gone higher but I only live 12.5 miles from work. Is this normal for a 2013 Tahoe LT? I plan on adding a transmission cooler and an oil cooler for towing but need a base line for temperature to start from before installing the coolers. The Tahoe already has a power steering cooler, so I should be good to go on that one.

Any suggestions on which cooler and where to get them would be helpful.

Thanks,
Craig

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
Yeah, that's about normal. Obviously air temp is going to play a factor in it somewhat. I've seen 185 during stop and go city traffic, but generally 160-170 on the highway without a trailer behind me. Been over 220 on the highway with a trailer that was catching a lot of wind.

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 Yukon xl that stays around 165-175 while around town. Your temp seems to be in the normal range.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer guys.:)
Now all I have to do is find an oil cooler and a transmission cooler. That with the K&N air filter, air lift bags in the rear coil spring and change out the stock soft shocks to the heavy duty load leveling ones and the Tahoe should be up to a 8,000 pound tow capacity. :cool:

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
Just remember that even if you do all of that and increase the towing ability mechanically, legally, your gvwr and gcvwr do not change. Odds of getting weighed for such a small load are very slim, but just something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Just remember that even if you do all of that and increase the towing ability mechanically, legally, your gvwr and gcvwr do not change. Odds of getting weighed for such a small load are very slim, but just something to keep in mind.

Good point, will keep that in mind and not pull into any truck weight stations.:) This is something I will look into in order to stay on the right side of the law.

Driving home yesterday outside temperature was 85 degrees and the transmission temperature hit 165. Coming into work today outside temperature was 48 degrees and the transmission temperature only hit 130 degrees. Seems outside temperatures really play a big part in transmission fluid temperatures.

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calicajun,

According to your Owner's Manual on Vehicle Care portion page 5, it states that the transmission temperature should stay between 140°F and 167°F.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Tru Cool 40K for my trans cooler. If thats too big for you they sell smaller ones. But if you plan on towing heavy loads the bigger one really works well. I've towed 6,000+ lbs and the trans temp never went above 150 and i'm in Texas.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Jennifer,
My trans temp on a 80 degree day is 183 around town. Have a 109 mile tomorrow all freeway will see what the temp is on this trip.

Big Buttons,
The 40k sounds good have already been looking at larger coolers like the Tru Cool 40K. Good to hear that the cooler works well while towing.

Finally found out why I can't find a engine Oil cooler, the Oil cooler is part of the heavy duty duel layer radiator. So I will be getting a new radiator and the oil lines soon. Doesn't look like it will be to hard to install.

aflumb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my temp stay around the average everyone here is saying. I have a B&M trans cooler that will be here Mon. Hoping to have it installed after work so I can go pick up my 8.5X20ft enclosed trailer. We will see how much it helps with temp. Most people get the tru cool; I wanted one but for $100 less for one almost the same size I figured I'd give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justjacks07

Latest posts