Transmission Temperature When Not Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Haven't picked up a trans cooler yet, looking at 40k size and maybe one with its own fan too. That is if will fit in the Tahoe.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have mine mounted in the stock location in front of the condensor, but I have a NBS...

And there isn't too much more room behind the grille.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
I have mine mounted in the stock location in front of the condensor, but I have a NBS...

And there isn't too much more room behind the grille.

You added a trans cooler and tow 6,000+ pounds, that sounds great. What rear end ratio do you have (i.e.: 3:08, 3:42 or 3:73) and how well do you get up the grades? My Tahoe did pretty well coming up from 100 feet to 3,258 feet climb over a 25 mile stretch. Not sure what percentage of a grade that works out to be for the climb, it has been a long time since high school geometry. :)

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't tow regularly, but it was a '70 GTO Judge drag car. Trailer weighed about 5500 with car and tools/supplies. It was a 1300 mile round trip in the middle of summer in Texas. I also had 2 really big guys in my burb so thats another 800lbs plus luggage and my 500lbs sub box in the rear.

I have the factory tow package so I have the 3.73 limited slip rear end.

But my motor is FAR from stock so that is where mine differs from yours. But mine handled the hills great. I would just speed up a little if I saw a big hill coming up.

aflumb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got mine installed tonight. went for a 20 min ride. i was kinda ******* it to make sure everything was gud to go. well my temps stayed around 132 with my air temp gauge saying it was 62. thats 30 degree drop just by adding the cooler. tom i pick up my 8.5X20 ft enclosed trailer. it will be empty but still weigh around 3100 lbs. its about an hour drive back to the house. we will see what the temp diff. will be

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
A 30 degree drop in trans temp is great. We just spent 4 hours at the dealer where we bought our Tahoe arguing about the Tahoe not having the HD tow package as the salesman presented. The dealer refunded enough money to us so I can have all the mods done to the Tahoe. That will be trans cooler, new radiator, oil cooler line to the new radiator, load leveling rear shocks and a change our the 3:08 rear end to a 3:42 rear end. :Big Laugh: I don't think the salesman will be working there much longer. At least now, when the work is done, we will feel much better about towing with the Tahoe. :burnout:

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe GM still uses 3.73s but idk. If they dont offer it there are some great after market companies that make gears. If you go the route you might as well get a trutrac with it.

I want 4.10s and a trutrac but I don't really care about mpgs lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bb115