Transmission Sounds Lower RPM - UPDATE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Low power steering fluid, alternator bearings, water pump, etc could all be culprits.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Just for kicks and grins I’d probably check the power steering fluid just to rule that out.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
Low power steering fluid, alternator bearings, water pump, etc could all be culprits.
Interesting, in that case I will have to check these. I have never realized that these would cause sounds during acceleration because I assumed. I will get back to this post tomorrow. (I am really hoping that it’s not the trans).

Thanks for your quick input Jason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Was curious to find out if anyone had transmission issues yet? Based on a search I have found numerous complaints online about transmission failures.

The issue with mine is that on first and second gear lower RPM, there seems to be a slight whine sound. 3rd is fine unless I step on the gas more.

Recently changed trans oil and used GM recommended Dexron VI by ACDelco. OEM filter from dealership.

I have called dealer and asked about transmission diagnosis and they said just to take the transmission out would be 16 hours or labor and about $1200.

I also called a nearby transmission repair shop and they said that the cost to rebuild the trans is about 5k which isn’t cheap and he said that it may even be a simple fix (which I doubt because I felt it was just a way to get the truck in and say there’s all these different worn out components etc...).

Before I take it in, I just want to get some ideas on what you guys think the problem is and if there is anything that I can do in the meantime, or maybe it was something else that I did incorrectly? 1200 + parts and rebuild is no joke to the wallet.

Truck has 72,000 miles and on 33s with a Blackbear tune.

Thank you in advance.

6, 8, or 10 speed transmission?

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Was curious to find out if anyone had transmission issues yet? Based on a search I have found numerous complaints online about transmission failures.

The issue with mine is that on first and second gear lower RPM, there seems to be a slight whine sound. 3rd is fine unless I step on the gas more.

Recently changed trans oil and used GM recommended Dexron VI by ACDelco. OEM filter from dealership.

I have called dealer and asked about transmission diagnosis and they said just to take the transmission out would be 16 hours or labor and about $1200.

I also called a nearby transmission repair shop and they said that the cost to rebuild the trans is about 5k which isn’t cheap and he said that it may even be a simple fix (which I doubt because I felt it was just a way to get the truck in and say there’s all these different worn out components etc...).

Before I take it in, I just want to get some ideas on what you guys think the problem is and if there is anything that I can do in the meantime, or maybe it was something else that I did incorrectly? 1200 + parts and rebuild is no joke to the wallet.

Thank you in advance.

16 hours to take it out??? The hell are they smoking. I took my trans out and put it in myself with no lift in my yard in less 8 hours and used my body as the trans jack. If a tech at a dealership with a lift and trans jack takes 16 something is seriously wrong.

Also 5k to rebuild is a joke. You can get a performance rebuild for 750hp plus for a tad over 3k from a very reputable shop.

Put it this way I had a 6 speed failure. Converter failed and killed the trans. I got a full build plus a 4 carbon clutch 10 inch billet converter for less than 5k. I did the swap myself though. Just going back stock with labor should be 5k. If you toss in the BB tune and the momentum gt intake I am a touch over 5k. Get new quotes.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
16 hours to take it out??? The hell are they smoking. I took my trans out and put it in myself with no lift in my yard in less 8 hours and used my body as the trans jack. If a tech at a dealership with a lift and trans jack takes 16 something is seriously wrong.

Also 5k to rebuild is a joke. You can get a performance rebuild for 750hp plus for a tad over 3k from a very reputable shop.

Put it this way I had a 6 speed failure. Converter failed and killed the trans. I got a full build plus a 4 carbon clutch 10 inch billet converter for less than 5k. I did the swap myself though. Just going back stock with labor should be 5k. If you toss in the BB tune and the momentum gt intake I am a touch over 5k. Get new quotes.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I always feel some of these places is extremely sketchy and try to rip people off. I actually saved a link from another post of them getting the same exact transmission but upgraded parts for ~2600 or so and if all else fails, I do not mind swapping it out myself as I have all the tools and now have a lot more free time due to covid. It’s if I am taking out the internals is what scares me because I have no how to put it back together lol.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I always feel some of these places is extremely sketchy and try to rip people off. I actually saved a link from another post of them getting the same exact transmission but upgraded parts for ~2600 or so and if all else fails, I do not mind swapping it out myself as I have all the tools and now have a lot more free time due to covid. It’s if I am taking out the internals is what scares me because I have no how to put it back together lol.

I can rebuild them but I paid someone else for the warranty purposes lol. But dropping it is easy. Remove the Y pipe, starter, shields and harness, removed the rear trans support and driveshaft and lower the trans down to get access to the center top bell housing bolt, remove the rest of the bell housing bolts and converter bolts along with the shift cable and slide it out. I mean of course there are a few small other things you will see but its not bad at all.

https://www.tkperformanceandauto.com/products/6l80e-tkr-transmission is who I used for my trans build. Shipping the core to them for the build and back was about 500 round trip but was worth it. I know there are a few other places recommended by other members but this is the place I used personally for mine.

PATC is who I used for my converter. I got a custom stall option we discussed over the phone. They hand built my converter and if needed in the future I get a free restall as well.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thank you in advance.

Hey guys, I now have an update. As for the transmission, it came down to early signs of torque converter failure. All of the transmission gears appear to work fine when in manual mode when upshifting and downshifting. The difference between this and D mode, is that I let my foot off the gas for 2-3 seconds before pressing down again and this problem does not even exist.

I dropped off the truck at the dealership on stock tune and the problem isnt there that much but was still able to recreate it in the auto mode. The technician said that it is a problem with the torque converter and is not worth it to me to fix it if its minor because of the cost to take the transmission out and replace it with a new torque converter because of the cost to do it and that these transmission somewhere down the road will probably fail and would need to be rebuilt at some point and will cost more $$$ to fix it.

Now, my question is, what torque converter would be available to buy so I can do it myself because it problem bothers me and if left this way will eventually really wear down other components. So far, if I manually upshift and downshift wouldnt be an issue but prefer to fix it. But in the process, would like to get an upgraded torque converter. I have only found 2 available online and would like to see if you guys can give me some input which to get besides the stock ACDelco one.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts