Transmission Sounds Lower RPM - UPDATE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighurk

Reaction score
Hello all,

Was curious to find out if anyone had transmission issues yet? Based on a search I have found numerous complaints online about transmission failures.

The issue with mine is that on first and second gear lower RPM, there seems to be a slight whine sound. 3rd is fine unless I step on the gas more.

Recently changed trans oil and used GM recommended Dexron VI by ACDelco. OEM filter from dealership.

I have called dealer and asked about transmission diagnosis and they said just to take the transmission out would be 16 hours or labor and about $1200.

I also called a nearby transmission repair shop and they said that the cost to rebuild the trans is about 5k which isn’t cheap and he said that it may even be a simple fix (which I doubt because I felt it was just a way to get the truck in and say there’s all these different worn out components etc...).

Before I take it in, I just want to get some ideas on what you guys think the problem is and if there is anything that I can do in the meantime, or maybe it was something else that I did incorrectly? 1200 + parts and rebuild is no joke to the wallet.

Truck has 72,000 miles and on 33s with a Blackbear tune.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Just curious how long you’ve had the tune? I’m rolling 33’s on 17” wheels with 160,000 miles and no issues. Do you tow a lot? It seems such low mileage to have transmission problems.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
Just curious how long you’ve had the tune? I’m rolling 33’s on 17” wheels with 160,000 miles and no issues. Do you tow a lot? It seems such low mileage to have transmission problems.
I’ve had the tune for about 2 months. This is also very bizarre to me as well because I’ve never had trans issues before. I have never towed anything before with this truck. The only other thing that I do is I drive up a very steep hill everyday to get home but other than that there shouldn’t be any issues with that... Occasionally hitting full throttle but nothing should be putting too much stress on the trans.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
When was the last time you hot checked your transmission fluid?

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
When was the last time you hot checked your transmission fluid?
After my transmission fluid change last time which was 3 weeks ago and checking it again every few days after coming home from work.

One other thing that I want to add is that after driving a while it goes away... it appears to be intermittent. Also I started my car recently after it sat for two days, there was a loud noise coming from below the truck so i got under there and sounded like it was coming from the trans. Almost like something banging in metal but went away after 30 secs

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
When you put it in reverse does the whining sound get louder? If so, a probable cause is that a transmission line is clogged.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
When you put it in reverse does the whining sound get louder? If so, a probable cause is that a transmission line is clogged.
Yeah I wondered the same thing based on some of the videos I’ve seen but reverse is completely normal, no whine or anything.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Reaction score
So far it is only in lower gears and rpm but once the speed get up there, completely goes away

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Otherwise it very well may be worn gears, which seems highly unlikely. I was hoping it was simply low fluid level, but sounds like you’ve got that sorted.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
You sure it’s coming from the tranny? There could be a few different things going on since you say it’s only doing it while accelerating...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts