Transmission noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
2004 yukon Denali.
15k on a rebuilt lq4
182k on the original trans(still shifts like new)

Long story short. The Denali started making a random noise while at idle. It's louder when it warms up. From outside the truck it sounds faintly like marbles are bouncing around in it. Under it is a bit louder. The sound is coming from the bell housing area. I checked all the converter to flex plate bolts and looked at the flex plate good only to find no visible cracks or anything really wrong. Even pryed around on stuff to see if I there was any movement. I can't figure it out. Not sure if the torque converter itself could be making this noise or what.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catalytic converters? Hit them with a rubber mallet and see if they rattle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Catalytic converters? Hit them with a rubber mallet and see if they rattle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
I thought about that but using my stethoscope the sound is most certainly coming from inside the bell housing. I'm trying to upload a video but it's taking forever

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the flexplate is cracked up around where the bolts hold it to the crank you wont be able to see the cracks without pulling the tranny.

jcevans7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that but using my stethoscope the sound is most certainly coming from inside the bell housing. I'm trying to upload a video but it's taking forever
Just upload some videos to YouTube for my class literraly took all weekend.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
here is a short video. I was having issues with my normal site so i used youtube

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has your inspection plug been off while driving? Might have a rock up in there. If not then put your finger on transmission bell housing then the engine bell housing. Which one do you feel the vibration from the noise the most?
Sounds close to yours. His was a busted flexplate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pnwdan

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Has your inspection plug been off while driving? Might have a rock up in there. If not then put your finger on transmission bell housing then the engine bell housing. Which one do you feel the vibration from the noise the most?
Sounds close to yours. His was a busted flexplate.

I took the inspection plug off to look inside.
I did feel around in there but didn't find anything. Reading through the comments on that video i saw a suggestion to feed an inspection cam up there and get a better look. I don't have one but i ordered one to see if i can get a better look at the points that usually crack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts