Transmission Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 4L60E built to handle approximately 500hp new sun shell booster valve five pinion planetary gears sonnax high strength output shaft etc etc etc. so this is the third time I got my Tahoe back and it’s still leaking under the front of the transmission. They replaced the pump seal and input shaft seal. Still leaking. Then this last time they totally replaced the pump and the converter and it’s still leaking. Same spot same amount. Any ideas anyone?

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a different shop is my idea. Sounds like they are just replacing parts hoping for the best.
I'd start with getting some dye and checking yourself. Plenty of kits online that come with dye and a UV light. That's where I'd start.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be the lines leaking where it goes up into the radiator to the cooler. That’s a pretty common issue on the NBS trucks.

Fender Rhoads

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Might be the lines leaking where it goes up into the radiator to the cooler. That’s a pretty common issue on the NBS trucks.
My lines were leaking at the crimps between the rubber flex and the hard line where it connects to the radiator and trailing back.

OP
OP
Maximus1

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This leak is coming from the bell housing. To my knowledge there’s no cooler lines in that area. My belief is that the shop is using the wrong seals. There is a late model 4L60E and a early model 4L60E and the input shaft seals are not interchangeable but are unnoticeable to the naked eye. Also for all I know they didn’t do anything and are pretending to fix it. I will be filing suit with this shop and having the leak fixed elsewhere.

OP
OP
Maximus1

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a few quotes and worst case scenario the case will have to be changed which will cost about $800 with swapping the parts over and reinstalled. Best case is the seals which will cost $500. And this guy says that he will fix the leak regardless of how many times it has to be removed and restalled. He says that he has a transmission dyno and he will put it on the dyno and heat it up and put it under a load to insure that the leak is fixed. But before I do that he suggested that I put some STP leak repair in it since it’s such a small tiny leak (approximately 1/2 quart every three weeks) that might repair it. And STP guarantees that it will not harm my transmission and if it does they will replace the transmission for free.

OP
OP
Maximus1

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason for the difference in price between the two is labor because it will obviously take longer to swap all the parts rather than just a couple seals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman