Tranny Crapped Itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving, felt a loud clunk and my rpms spiked up. I pulled over and could only engage 1 and 2, could not get forward drive in 3 or D. Reverse does work. I figure I lost my 3/4 gears, at a minimum. I was near a local transmission shop so I parked it there for the night.

Any thoughts on what direction I should think about? Rebuild? Replacement? Rebuild with upgrades? Any stock or aftermarket parts I should stay away from?

2007, 100700 miles.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Just thinking...could this be a transfer case issue? I did just change my fluid last week...

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

When I changed the transfer case fluid, the old fluid was red-ish, the new fluid that the Chevy dealership gave me was blue. I thought it was a little weird at the time, but didn't think much of it...

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you probably broke your sungear/case. if it was the TC 3rd and 4th wouldn't be affected.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
My sungear blew up on my 2dr. Same symptoms. Mine was so bad my tranny guy struggled a lot with it. I would build it if I were you. Make it bullet proof that's what we did with mine

OP
OP
Hurlz07Tahoe

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop owner I brought it to immediately suggested a "beefier" torque converter. Says they do it all of the time for issues like mine. Two techs test drove it and can't say for sure what the issue is (obviously), but had some thoughts that there could also be something wrong with the transfer case. They suggested I let them work the transmission issue first, get it back together, and then see if there is a Xfr Case issue.

Does all of this sound legit? I am very much a rookie when it comes to transmissions...

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

My sungear blew up on my 2dr. Same symptoms. Mine was so bad my tranny guy struggled a lot with it. I would build it if I were you. Make it bullet proof that's what we did with mine

What all did you do to rebuild it?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Honestly I don't remember but he built it up for towing. It wasn't bad on price neither. Ran about 1300 but mine is an older trans so yours is gonna be more expensive

OP
OP
Hurlz07Tahoe

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They quoted me $1900-2100 for the rebuild (without tearing in to it yet).

Anyone have any thoughts on the upgraded torque converter?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is even a better sun shell on the market now but I cant remember the name....dang old brain!

Sonnax, there I did remember!

Last edited:

Coalhat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok the exact same thing happened to me this morning while driving in to work. 2007 Yukon with 122k miles. Happened at low speed rolling through a light. Ease onto the throttle and CLUNK. Nothing engaged in D or 3, but shifting to 2 or 1 gets me moving. Did you do any of the upgrades recommended by Big Buttons? How'd it work out?

My situation - I have an extended warranty that will cover the repair, but I want to use the opportunity to rebuild it bigger and stronger. Any other recommendations or feedback? Thoughts on the Jegs performance kit here?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...QaWRjLOXVcowRmxE0BLmDjcAuCA1BRSBoCmJYQAvD_BwE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn