TPMS Relearn Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered my sensors were not mapped to the correct positions, so I bought one of the el cheapo Amazon relearn tools. I've spent a couple hours with it trying to get it to work. Out of many attempts, I've gotten it to to trigger a single sensor twice. I got frustrated after trying the starting wheel (DS, front) I moved on to the second wheel (PS, front) - then it amazingly triggered that one, but it was out of order and I couldn't get the third one to go anyway. On another attempt, I actually got it to trigger the starting wheel, but then it wouldn't do any of the subsequent ones. You only have a few minutes before it times out on you and you have to start over.

I've also tried the no-tool method twice. Attempt 1, I overinflated the tires and then let air out during the relearn process to try to trigger them. A later attempt I just let air out, more than 10 psi, to see if I could trigger them - no good on either. Some googling leads me to believe that somewhere around 2011 or 2012 GM disabled the use of that trick. (It does work on our 2012 cruze, however)

Since I did get a sensor to trigger during the relearn, but not the subsequent ones, now I'm getting a service TPMS message and a tire light on the dash.

Not sure what to do next. Go to a tire store and see if they will do it for cheap or free? Do I need new sensors? I recently got a Tech 2, but it's just telling me there's a problem with the relearn process. Would rather not purchase a more expensive relearn tool. PO put new tires on it shortly before selling so really hoping to not need new sensors.
I thought the air trick worked on my 16, but that’s been a few years back that I did it.

phottomatt

Reaction score
I was having trouble with my learn tool as well and I discovered a technique that I have not seen yet. I tried different positions for the learn tool and discovered that you have to hold the "antenna" of the tool on the sidewall of the tire.

20240111_125231[1].jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts