TPMS Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Two Tahoes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I just picked up a 2012 Tahoe LTZ and I want to install snow tires on a spare set of wheels I just picked up off of craigslist. The rims are factory steel 17" x 7.5", I got new take-offs for $125 with center caps. I will be putting on P265/70R17 snow tires. What king of wheel sensors will I need to fit this wheel and how do i program them to the truck. Or should I just run without the sensors for the winter?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheapest option is get a hold of SuperchargedSS on here. It will give you a warning if you do not run them but can be done.

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
Are you certain your take-offs don't already have the sensors? If they do any Chevy dealership can perform a simple process to sync together your TPMS, takes less than 2 minutes, and free (at least it was for me).

OP
OP
T

Two Tahoes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are no sensors on the steel take-offs, I was told they were from a 2007 pick-up, just regular valve stems. If I choose to use these wheels with no sensors, which indicator light will light up? I will be switching these tires and wheels every spring and fall and if I have to go to a dealer every time to re-sync them i belive it will get real costly..Also a big pain in the a$$. thanks
:cheers:

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
I believe TPMS became a requirement as of 2007 for just about all passanger vehicles under 10,000 lbs (which is why I thought it might be possible to have them already on the take offs). As long as your state vehicle registration requirements doesn't involve inspection of TPMS, you will simply just have a "SERVICE TMPS" error message on your driver information system each time you start it, just press the top button and go about your day.

And to clarrify, re-syncing is quick and painless - it's if you have to move the sensors you already have from your nice wheels to the winter wheels - that will be costly.

OP
OP
T

Two Tahoes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I did buy new sensors to put on the winter wheels how would I re-sync them. Can I do it myself or do I have to resort to going to the dealer?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try the resync process via the owners manual (some get it to work some do not), buy the tool to do it, or go to the dealer or tire shop. Not a lot of options but it's really not that big of a deal.

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
Besides that, with you owning a 2012 model, the service folks will probably treat you like royality - they want your business. The sync process takes no time at all.

Intimidator3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can sync the sensors yourself. Took me like 5 minutes to reprogram my '11 Tahoe when I put 22s on it. I don't remember the exact steps in order but I'll look for them. No tool needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr