Towing stability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_tow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a 13 tahoe LTZ, I'm currently replacing all of the air ride suspension with standard components from strutmasters.
We pull a boat that is probably 5500 loaded, and it isn't fun. Unfortunately the trailer has surge brakes so a sway brake can't be used. The tahoe with no load has excessive roll and bounce. The front tires are worn on outside telling me my suspension is shot. Keep you posted

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a 13 tahoe LTZ, I'm currently replacing all of the air ride suspension with standard components from strutmasters.
We pull a boat that is probably 5500 loaded, and it isn't fun. Unfortunately the trailer has surge brakes so a sway brake can't be used. The tahoe with no load has excessive roll and bounce. The front tires are worn on outside telling me my suspension is shot. Keep you posted
Curious...why did you decide to replace the air ride system with standard components? General consensus here is that the factory air ride is THE golden ticket for towing duty on these, and that matches my experience as well.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score

Any suspension that is worn out will not handle well, especially with a load.
Have you driven a properly maintained Tahoe with the Z55 suspension?
My Yukon exhibits none of the excessive roll or bounce that you mention, and neither does the 2009 Silverado 1500 that my sister owns.
But both vehicles have had the suspension properly maintained.

Padraig

Reaction score
You may want to consider replacing the surge brakes with electric over hydraulic. Much better braking and control and you then could use the sway bar. I towed a slightly heavier boat with my 2013 Yukon XL with zero problems, but XL has a longer wheelbase.

Padraig

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only other thing that might hurt you is are you running the correct tire. if you're going to tow, I'd say make sure you have LT rated tires. I don't tow much but I went from old LT rated tires it came with to a softer non lt rated tire and can tell a noticeable difference in how the truck handles, and that's not towing anything. it much more sloppy just around town. when I tow next I'll have to see but I don't tow a rv wind brakes like you guys, so I think I'll be fine and wanted a softer ride on the bad roads around town.

but if you just bought the truck, it came with cheap tires and want to tow something big. I'd make sure everything matches.

I do like that weight scale hitch.. but I also did OK adjusting the car location to max psi the airbag like, which is 80psi at rest from what I found. under 120 for sure

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/21-NA-199

If gm went through the trouble to replace the original 19x degree thermostat in the trans with a cooler one, one would think any temp over the 194 or 195 would not be good for the transmission.
Interesting.. I have a '12 6l80 with no cooler, usually hits 190-200 an any drive over 25 mins or so.. 210k miles and no problems (yet!) not towing.
That said, I would like cooler temps and am installing the small factory cooler soon..

15burban

Reaction score
Interesting.. I have a '12 6l80 with no cooler, usually hits 190-200 an any drive over 25 mins or so.. 210k miles and no problems (yet!) not towing.
That said, I would like cooler temps and am installing the small factory cooler soon..
Doesn't your radiator have a built in cooler for the trans?

big_tow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may want to consider replacing the surge brakes with electric over hydraulic. Much better braking and control and you then could use the sway bar. I towed a slightly heavier boat with my 2013 Yukon XL with zero problems, but XL has a longer wheelbase.

Padraig
i am considering electric brakes on trailer. i will see how the new suspension works. suspension was shot at any rate and needed to be replaced.

big_tow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious...why did you decide to replace the air ride system with standard components? General consensus here is that the factory air ride is THE golden ticket for towing duty on these, and that matches my experience as well.
i was not aware of that being the case. i think replacing all of the air ride components would have been costly. either way its done now...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz