Towing in 3rd gear or 4th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I have a 400 mile trip to make next week with a 5600lb load. Will be going up and down mountain passes for 100 miles of it. Just wondering what is appropriate for this, knowing that the 4l60 is a bit weak? Is tow mode acceptable or should I drop is to third year as well?

2005 tahoe LT 5.3

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well with trucks usually guys will put some sandbags in the back, exactly how much I don't know there's probably some mathematical process depending on tongue weight and payload. (google maybe, or maybe someone else will chime in), also don't eat the yellow or brown snow :)

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Down hill I would leave it in fourth. If you going up hill drop it down to third or even second if you feel you need too.

I bought a trailer recently and had to find out by trial myself. This is what has worked out the best for me. My trailer loaded is about 7500lbs. 65mph on the freeway and rpm was 2000-2200. My mpg went from 15.5 way down to 8. So that’s something else to expect. Hope this helps.

Fresh fluid and a tranny cooler also helps keep the 4L60 alive a bit longer.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
i leave mine in 4th as much as possible, but usually terrain does not permit and i pull it into 3rd to keep it from 4-3-4 shifting constantly. keep an eye on trans fluid temps and you should be fine.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow/Haul mode should do the downshifting and converter unlocking for you. IF it seems not quite good enough i would pull it down to 3rd, however once you think it should be there it should have beat you to it.

MINIz guy

Reaction score
Tow/haul mode and feel it out. If it keeps doing 4-3-4 shifts, drop it down to 3. The constant shifting is what kills our transmissions.

When I towed a ~5500lbs car trailer, I kept it in 3rd since it kept hunting for gear on the highway.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow/haul mode and feel it out. If it keeps doing 4-3-4 shifts, drop it down to 3. The constant shifting is what kills our transmissions.

When I towed a ~5500lbs car trailer, I kept it in 3rd since it kept hunting for gear on the highway.

Tow/haul mode is what keeps the tranny from hunting between 4th and 3rd. Ive owned many TH700R4 and 4L60E and built many more and I can tell you that if you dont have a corvette servo installed or equivalent then dont even think about towing in 4th and even then I probably would not unless maybe on completely flat land.
What typically kills our transmissions is Towing in 4th, Dirty worn out fluid and Heat. During the back and forth hunting between 4th and 3rd alot of heat is generated and excessive slippage of the 2-4 band. This over time wears the band out and it loses excessive friction material (think just like a like a clutch plate). Next thing you know you no longer have 2nd or 4th. Thats a problem especially when you are towing a load. I once drove a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 (5.7L/4L60E) and the tranny lost 2 and 4 around 120K miles and I drove this back and forth to work at the time a 200 miles roundtrip each day until I could get time to get it on a friends lift and money/parts together to do a full rebuild. That Sierra is still here today with 275k on the odometer still running on that rebuild I did back in 2006. I towed my 5400lb 32ft HRC Aluma Lite travel trailer with that truck (religiously in 3rd gear on hilly roads) often many hundreds of miles, took off road at the very least hunting season every year, pulled many people out of impossible places during the winter. The Illinois State Police had to have been mesmerized. That Sierra was a beast and still would be if the engine wasnt so tired. The truck was all stock except for the optional tires that came on her factory and the internals to the tranny. I should just sell it before it rusts to the ground but she has been a very good truck. Somone else needs to blow her up, not me.

MINIz guy

Reaction score
Tow/haul mode is what keeps the tranny from hunting between 4th and 3rd. Ive owned many TH700R4 and 4L60E and built many more and I can tell you that if you dont have a corvette servo installed or equivalent then dont even think about towing in 4th and even then I probably would not unless maybe on completely flat land.
What typically kills our transmissions is Towing in 4th, Dirty worn out fluid and Heat. During the back and forth hunting between 4th and 3rd alot of heat is generated and excessive slippage of the 2-4 band. This over time wears the band out and it loses excessive friction material (think just like a like a clutch plate). Next thing you know you no longer have 2nd or 4th. Thats a problem especially when you are towing a load. I once drove a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 (5.7L/4L60E) and the tranny lost 2 and 4 around 120K miles and I drove this back and forth to work at the time a 200 miles roundtrip each day until I could get time to get it on a friends lift and money/parts together to do a full rebuild. That Sierra is still here today with 275k on the odometer still running on that rebuild I did back in 2006. I towed my 5400lb 32ft HRC Aluma Lite travel trailer with that truck (religiously in 3rd gear on hilly roads) often many hundreds of miles, took off road at the very least hunting season every year, pulled many people out of impossible places during the winter. The Illinois State Police had to have been mesmerized. That Sierra was a beast and still would be if the engine wasnt so tired. The truck was all stock except for the optional tires that came on her factory and the internals to the tranny. I should just sell it before it rusts to the ground but she has been a very good truck. Somone else needs to blow her up, not me.
There are definitely times when you can tow in 4th. Like you said, flat land isn't a problem in 4th since there shouldn't be a time you load anything up enough to require a downshift. You can definitely also find a sweet spot between 3rd and 4th that the tranny can't decide between (I found mine around 55 or 65 I think). You just gotta be smart when towing with a 4L60, can't just hook something up and drive like it's an Allison 1000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz