Towing a Tahoe on a car hauler from Uhaul/Penske/Budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colby82

Reaction score
I'm curious if anybody has towed a Tahoe/Yukon on a car hauler from one of the moving truck places (Uhaul/Penske/Budget). The Tahoe is right at 5,000 lbs curb weight and the trailers are rated for just over 4,000 lbs. It appears that the trailer is wide and long enough...at least the one I stopped and measured yesterday was big enough. (Yes I know they won't rent it for the Tahoe, but for all they'll know I'll be towing our Mazda 3) (yes I know the liability issues involved)

I'll be pulling it with a 26ft moving truck, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any experience here? If no car hauler experience, anybody have experience towing a Tahoe on a car dolly? (Yes I understand the driveshaft will need to be removed on a dolly)

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

It's a one way move from Houston to Wisconsin. So it'll have to be a national name that I rent from.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have towed quite a few vehicles on car dollys, I have no complaint with them. They get the job done. As for putting your tahoe on a full trailer only rated for 4k, I wouldnt do it. Im sure it will probably hold up fine, but just dont... lol

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
You could rent a tow dolly and remove your rear driveshaft, that way there won't be any possible damage to your driveline. Shouldn't be an issue otherwise.

I wouldn't put a 5000 lb vehicle on a trailer rated for 4000 lbs. Like stated earlier, it may hold up, but I wouldn't do it either.

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Colby82

Reaction score
The thought process behind all this is that the car haulers are probably under rated.

Most standard issue hitches are Class III, rated up to 5000 lbs. So for liability reasons, Uhaul/Penske/Budget most likely under rate their trailer to match that 5,000 lb hitch capacity. Say they rated the trailers for what they're actually capable of: 7,000 lbs....well Uhaul could be liable if they hitched their 7,000 lb tailer up to your 5,000 lb hitch and then you exceeded the hitch capacity with your 6,000 lb load. Make sense?

Thanks for the replies

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thought process behind all this is that the car haulers are probably under rated.

Most standard issue hitches are Class III, rated up to 5000 lbs. So for liability reasons, Uhaul/Penske/Budget most likely under rate their trailer to match that 5,000 lb hitch capacity. Say they rated the trailers for what they're actually capable of: 7,000 lbs....well Uhaul could be liable if they hitched their 7,000 lb tailer up to your 5,000 lb hitch and then you exceeded the hitch capacity with your 6,000 lb load. Make sense?

Thanks for the replies

This ^^ However remember IF it does fail you have a 5000 pound wrecking ball moving down the highway or city street . In the event that would happen your insurance company wouldn't cover you and you would be sued

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ^^ However remember IF it does fail you have a 5000 pound wrecking ball moving down the highway or city street . In the event that would happen your insurance company wouldn't cover you and you would be sued

^^^ X1

And being sued for damages, ok. WHAT IF anyone gets killed because of all this?

I agree, just do not do it!!!!!!

Aaron_L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of those places are very picky about what you load on those trailers. Just by telling them you're planning on putting a Tahoe on it, they may not rent you anything at all.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what ever you do dont rent from uhaul there trucks are gas and with a full load they are snails up mountain pass get something with a diesel like penske and the biggest ive put on one of those double axle trailers is an extended cab ranger i dont even think you can put a tahoe on a dolly max weight is about 4000lbs your gonna have to have someone drive it GVW of tahoe is like 6500 lbs

OP
OP
C

Colby82

Reaction score
what ever you do dont rent from uhaul there trucks are gas and with a full load they are snails up mountain pass get something with a diesel like penske and the biggest ive put on one of those double axle trailers is an extended cab ranger i dont even think you can put a tahoe on a dolly max weight is about 4000lbs your gonna have to have someone drive it GVW of tahoe is like 6500 lbs

I have a diesel truck reserved. The tahoe is weighs about 5,000. I've decided that we're just going to have to tow the Mazda 3 and put some more gas in the Tahoe for the trip.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell yeah when it comes to moving trucks i dont even know why uhaul still rents gas trucks
the last time anyone i know used a uhaul was when i helped my grand perents move and they got the largest uhaul im assuming had GMs largest big block gas engine of the time i think it was that 8.1 liter v8 or vortec 8100. and with the truck packed full and when ever we started up a mountain pass im pretty sure someone passed me on a mountain bike when i changed duty stations from ft hood to ft lewis and rented a diesel from penske packed full while towing my ford ranger it never broke a sweat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rl1856