Tow shackle sizes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black99

Reaction score
So I've been looking into getting a recovery strap just to have if the situation arose where I or somebody else needed towing out of snow or something. I've read that getting a strap without hooks is the way to go because it's safer because if it breaks there will be no flying hook projectiles. My question is about the tow shackles id need to get. This one right here is rated to 9500 pounds which is more than enough, http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-13047B-Black-D-Ring/dp/B001CF1A6U/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i , but will that fit through my rear hitch? And also, depending on who im pulling out, would this same size shackle fit their tow point? There's also a 1/2 inch shackle thats rated at 4000 pounds but i wouldnt go any lower than that. I guess im really wondering how you can have the right shackle to tow somebody out if you dont know the size of the hole its going in. Are they somewhat universal sizes? Or is like a small car gonna have a smaller one than our trucks? Thanks for any help!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
If your scared of projectiles then your gonna have to use somewhere else as the hitch can also break and be a projectile. Personally I've never seen it down here and I've yanked on cars with mine just fine but have seen pics and it's nasty

OP
OP
Black99

Black99

Reaction score
if we arnt suppose to use the front hooks or the hitch where are we suppose to connect it lol!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Axles are a possibility. In order to attach those to your hitch you need a adapter that can accommodate the size you choose to the hitch opening you have. Just don't overload the hitch and adapter when pulling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yusefs257

Latest posts