AFM/DFM and Lifter Question - Moving from 07 Denali to Newer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustyb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heya folks,

Our 2007 Yukon XL Denali is getting tired (and rusted out) at nearly 350k miles and we're looking to update. We're looking to go somewhere between a 2014-2020 Denali or Escalade (love the 6.2), but we're leery about the AFM, lifter, and push rod problems. We usually buy our vehicles around 150k miles or less and I do most of my own work and maintenance.

Is it safer to look for another older 6.2 with no AFM or am I more worried than I should be about the engine issues in the newer years?

I'd love to hear people's experiences, especially if you've moved from a 6.2 without AFM to one with AFM/DFM.

Thanks in advance!

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a 2018-2020 Denali with the 10 speed trans. I did the AFM delete so concerns of AFM failure are gone, more power & getting around 22mpg mixed driving & mid 20s mpg hwy. I'm at 100K miles now and lose less than 1/2qt oil between 6K mile oil changes.

koachdaddy

Reaction score
I did the AFM delete so concerns of AFM failure are gone, more power & getting around 22mpg mixed driving & mid 20s mpg hwy.
Did you perform or have it done at a shop? At what mileage was it deleted and what was the associated cost?

I purchased a disabler a couple days after purchase at 38k but after two trips from FL to CA and another to OH last year, the thought is constantly nagging me even though it has a 100k CPO drivetrain warranty. Can I do it? Sure. Do I want to? Nope. This is a lot more involved than an old SBC cam/lifter swap.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you perform or have it done at a shop?.
I did the cam swap myself. Think it was around $1,000 for all the parts. It took me about 20 hours to do but I took my time seeing this was my 1st time playing with an LS/LT style engine. Did another LT cam swap after and only took me 15hrs. Definitely more involved than a cam swap on an old sbc/bbc.

Here is my cam swap journey & lessons learned.

Last edited:

koachdaddy

Reaction score
I did the cam swap myself. Think it was around $1,000 for all the parts. It took me about 20 hours to do but I took my time seeing this was my 1st time playing with an LS/LT style engine. Did another LT cam swap after and only took me 15hrs. Definitely more involved than a cam swap on an old sbc/bbc.

Here is my cam swap journey & lessons learned.

I remember this thread over the holidays but never followed. Very glad to hear all went well.
Where are you located and how much are you charging???

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember this thread over the holidays but never followed. Very glad to hear all went well.
Where are you located and how much are you charging???
I'm in Oregon, playing/modding vehicles is my hobby. Still working full time in the semiconductor world (40+ years) so no time to work on other people's projects. Maybe when I retire
Have 13K miles driven since my cam swap and I'm still amazed with the results. Just got back from Bend OR so lots of elevation changes and peaked at 4,800+ ft. Had some snow & plenty traffic driven and still got 23.5mpg roundtrip.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heya folks,

Our 2007 Yukon XL Denali is getting tired (and rusted out) at nearly 350k miles and we're looking to update. We're looking to go somewhere between a 2014-2020 Denali or Escalade (love the 6.2), but we're leery about the AFM, lifter, and push rod problems. We usually buy our vehicles around 150k miles or less and I do most of my own work and maintenance.

Is it safer to look for another older 6.2 with no AFM or am I more worried than I should be about the engine issues in the newer years?

I'd love to hear people's experiences, especially if you've moved from a 6.2 without AFM to one with AFM/DFM.

Thanks in advance!
Ive had the later and the earlier 6.2, the extra hp on the LT is noticeable for sure. AFM failures are not a matter of if and more of a matter of when. If you get one, just try to aim for the 17 to 20 area if possible. Funny fact I think there are more lifter failures in the 21 and up than the 15 -20 due to some issues with parts suppliers.

My suggestion, get one that has a nice service history. Drive it and get a good feel for it. The 8 speeds are a little clunky in 1-2 shifts but the fluid change in the TSB has been shown to fix alot of that issue and I can attest it helps out a ton.

Do the cam swap and while you are in there clean the carbon off the valves. This is a known issue on DI motors. you should get alot of use out of it by doing things this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuckchill