Tippy hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of a weird story, had all my front suspension replaced last fall.

Fast forward to May of this year, parked the hoe for the weekend and when I went to start it up on Sunday, drove it about 1/4 a mile and all of a sudden heard a loud bang like a huge rock kicked up and hit the underside of the body. Looked in my rear mirror and didn't see anything in the road, so I'm not sure what caused it. Ever since then, when I crank the wheel back and fourth really fast, there seems to be a bit of body roll compared to before. Used to be when I was going fast and would crank left then right really fast, there wouldn't be much swing but now even after I stop cranking the wheel, it still bounces side to side a little bit. I'm wondering if the loud bang I heard was some part of the suspension snapping, like the sway bar?

I got under and checked the suspension and I couldn't see anything obviously broken. Anyone know what could be causing the excess body roll? I figured something under a lot of tension must have broken free and hit some steel or the frame pretty hard because it sounded like someone threw a rock at the underneath of it.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the internals of a shock let go? Does it have air bags or anything?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it ride like granpas old cadilac since the incident if it does the shocks are kaputt
other symptoms are when you stop the front end dips way down when you run over a speed bump the suspension continues to bound like 3 more times

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be some body sway when sitting still and turning the wheel, our trucks use a decent amount of camber which causes such behavior. Nothing dramatic though.

My lower shock bolt sheared off at the mount and caused similar behavior.

I agree with everyone on what to check so far, also take a look at where your upper control arm meets the frame, you may have to move the splash guard.

It's not usual but not impossible that your eccentric bolts (camber/caster adjustment bolts) slipped on the mount.

As they wear the metal becomes thin, allowing them to stretch and this will happen.

I know guys, in theory the eccentric bolt doesn't actually have moving parts attached to it but I have seen three sets completely worn, doesn't make good sense but have been there, replaced that.

OP
OP
K

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will take a look at all those parts tonight guys, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efdubs