Time To Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DN08Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, Ive got 348,000 miles on my 08 Tahoe LT. I am going to start the engine rebuild in about 2 weeks. Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on the rebuild kit? Thank you for the suggestions.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, Ive got 348,000 miles on my 08 Tahoe LT. I am going to start the engine rebuild in about 2 weeks. Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on the rebuild kit? Thank you for the suggestions.

How long have you had it Danny? If a long time, did you keep a record of when certain repairs were done? 384K is quite impressive!

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
At 348k that is an amazing service life! In regard to a "rebuild kit". IMO, your best bet is summit as it is a one stop shop for all of the internals. one of the highest priorities is who wll do the machining? Boring, honing, line boring,crankshaft work,cam bearing install,all the head work, actually "renewing" the block/heads. assembly is the fun part, the machinist determines the outcome. As stated above the 6.0 would be a fantastic upgrade and simply the cost of a longblock from a salvage yard and rebuild the 6.0 while still driving your vehicle.

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 348k that is an amazing service life! In regard to a "rebuild kit". IMO, your best bet is summit as it is a one stop shop for all of the internals. one of the highest priorities is who wll do the machining? Boring, honing, line boring,crankshaft work,cam bearing install,all the head work, actually "renewing" the block/heads. assembly is the fun part, the machinist determines the outcome. As stated above the 6.0 would be a fantastic upgrade and simply the cost of a longblock from a salvage yard and rebuild the 6.0 while still driving your vehicle.
What would it take to swap a 6.0 in? Just tuning? Do all the accessories bolt up? I know it needs to be the same year(s) for the ecu to work.

OP
OP
DN08Tahoe

DN08Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How long have you had it Danny? If a long time, did you keep a record of when certain repairs were done? 384K is quite impressive!

I have owned this Tahoe for 6 years, was originally a fleet vehicle from the south east US. It has been maintained quite well, had every tune up and replacement as its listed in the owners manual. It has been very good to me, and is still in excellent shape.

OP
OP
DN08Tahoe

DN08Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

There is an auto machine shop here in Kansas City that will do all of the machining work to the block. They are highly recommended and have outstanding reviews. Have not seen or heard of 1 complaint on them.
I would rather not keep driving with all of the "milkshake" like substance in the engine. Even though it is still running good, I'd rather not chance it breaking down on me. I have an extra car to drive back and forth to work while I'm rebuilding the current engine. As far as the 6.0 upgrade, I think Ill stick with the 5.3, that thing is a tank!!!! LOL.

OP
OP
DN08Tahoe

DN08Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What would it take to swap a 6.0 in? Just tuning? Do all the accessories bolt up? I know it needs to be the same year(s) for the ecu to work.

That is a VERY good question. Does anyone have the answer to this?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an auto machine shop here in Kansas City that will do all of the machining work to the block. They are highly recommended and have outstanding reviews. Have not seen or heard of 1 complaint on them.
I would rather not keep driving with all of the "milkshake" like substance in the engine. Even though it is still running good, I'd rather not chance it breaking down on me. I have an extra car to drive back and forth to work while I'm rebuilding the current engine. As far as the 6.0 upgrade, I think Ill stick with the 5.3, that thing is a tank!!!! LOL.

If you dont mind sharing.. Which machine shop in KC area are
you going to use.. I can always use a good one. And they are hard
to find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65