5.3 rebuild guestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekfire07

Reaction score
I am considering pulling my 5.3 in my 2009 4x4 tahoe and doing a rebuild.

I am looking for any advise, like what to replace and brands. I would like to delete the DoD. Will a 2 ton cherry picker be big enough to pull the motor and any recommendations on a engine stand?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Erik

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Texas speed will have everything you need unless you want to upgrade just do the blue behave ls6 valve springs get new valve seals and retainers
Pushrods lifters arp head bolts etc etc. go on Texas speed look up dod delete and they should list everything you would need to complete the job
To delete the dod you’ll need the valley cover and gasket along with the cam of your choice (stock or aftermarket)

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with your engine? How do you know it needs a rebuild? Like low oil pressure? Have you rebuild an engine before?

Yes, 2 ton engine hoist is no problem lifting the engine, even boom extending all the way out.

Best advice is to tear everything down, doing a cursory inspection and keeping EVERYTHING in order and/or labeled.

Then clean again and do more thorough inspection, using precision measuring instruments like micrometer and dial bore gauge to measure things like journals and cylinders for taper, out-of-round, etc. Then make determination if you need any machine shop work. Cylinder boring? Cam, crank, rod bearings? Replace and measure clearances. Check engine block deck for flatness. Same for the heads.

OP
OP
tekfire07

tekfire07

Reaction score
What is wrong with your engine? How do you know it needs a rebuild? Like low oil pressure? Have you rebuild an engine before?

Yes, 2 ton engine hoist is no problem lifting the engine, even boom extending all the way out.

Best advice is to tear everything down, doing a cursory inspection and keeping EVERYTHING in order and/or labeled.

Then clean again and do more thorough inspection, using precision measuring instruments like micrometer and dial bore gauge to measure things like journals and cylinders for taper, out-of-round, etc. Then make determination if you need any machine shop work. Cylinder boring? Cam, crank, rod bearings? Replace and measure clearances. Check engine block deck for flatness. Same for the heads.
Engine has 158k on it. I am the second owner. Oil changes have been Penzoil Ultimate Platinum and Wix filters. I am getting low oil pressure. Turn the truck off for a few restart and I am good for a little bit and comes back. Have about 20 psi and slowly drops until the alarm comes on. So I was thinking of a rebuild. I want to delete the dod and I need to replace the cats. If the bearings are worn and causing the low oil pressure. I was thinking now would be the time to do the rebuild.
I have rebuild motors before 350, Chrysler 3.8 and 3.3l engines.
If I rebuild what oil pump is recommended? High volume?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine has 158k on it. I am the second owner. Oil changes have been Penzoil Ultimate Platinum and Wix filters. I am getting low oil pressure. Turn the truck off for a few restart and I am good for a little bit and comes back. Have about 20 psi and slowly drops until the alarm comes on. So I was thinking of a rebuild. I want to delete the dod and I need to replace the cats. If the bearings are worn and causing the low oil pressure. I was thinking now would be the time to do the rebuild.
I have rebuild motors before 350, Chrysler 3.8 and 3.3l engines.
If I rebuild what oil pump is recommended? High volume?
Understand.

You can go with a high volume oil pump, but a standard pump will be fine for a daily driver.

BTW, have you looked into the other issues that may cause low oil pressure like the pickup tube O-ring?

Did you buy the truck with low oil pressure or that developed under your ownership? Did you ever see any metallic glitter on the oil changes?

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do both DOD & AFM delete, at the same time. Upgrade oil pump and replace timing chain, while ut at it.

OP
OP
tekfire07

tekfire07

Reaction score
Understand.

You can go with a high volume oil pump, but a standard pump will be fine for a daily driver.

BTW, have you looked into the other issues that may cause low oil pressure like the pickup tube O-ring?

Did you buy the truck with low oil pressure or that developed under your ownership? Did you ever see any metallic glitter on the oil changes?
I purchased the truck with no oil pressure issues. Have not noticed any metal, with the pressure slowly dropping off. My thought was either sluge in the system or air getting in the system. AKA the o ring on the pick up tube. Maybe I head down that road. With my truck being a 4x4 dropping the pan will be a pain in the ass. With the dif in the way. Is it possible to reuse the oil pan gasket?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Very good question that may have saved you thousands of dollars. Do the overfill the oil by 1.5-2qts (but do not drive) test to see if oil press stabilizes.

If it does spend dough on AFM delete, cams gaskets and 99¢ O ring. These motors are good for 250-300k miles and longer with AFM yanked out.

You’ll have ez access to the motor mounts & xfer case dog bone mounts to swap out the bushings which is a no fun job the the oil pan in place.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do both DOD & AFM delete, at the same time.
Displacement On Demand & Active Fuel Management are the same damn thing.
Upgrade oil pump and replace timing chain, while you're at it.
IFF it's time for a rebuild, these should be done now.
But ...
I am considering pulling my 5.3L in my 2009 4x4 tahoe and doing a rebuild.

I am looking for any advice, like what to replace and brands. I would like to delete the DoD.
Before rebuilding it you may find that the cause of your oil pressure symptom is not actually a sign of needing a rebuild.

There is a screen very close to the oil pressure sender.
If it needs changing, one of the symptoms is oil pressure readings that behave as you've described.

In other words, your low oil pressure may not actually indicate that your engine needs rebuilding yet.
Although rebuilding it without V4 mode is always a good idea.
Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019