Time to change oil pickup o-ring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
(2005 Tahoe 4.8 4x4) Hey y’all, this weekend I’m about to finally try to do my rear main seal and wondered while I was working on it if I should also do my oil pickup tube o-ring as I know those commonly go bad. Im aware the work doesn’t really overlap but I figured it might be worth it to make it one bigger project. My oil pressure is about 45 PSI cold idle, 30-35 hot idle, and between 40-50 while driving (according to dash guage). Should I go ahead and change it?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(2005 Tahoe 4.8L 4x4) Hey y’all, this weekend I’m about to finally try to do my rear main seal and wondered ...
While I was working on it, if I should also do my oil pickup tube o-ring? as I know those commonly go bad ...
Does this even apply to the V8s that are sure of themselves?
Always thought this only applied to the V8s that tried to be V4s?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the oring for sure. I did the Silverado on ramps, in winter in a non insulated garage and took 2 days. But it was 20F and part of one day was washing the pan out at work( bonus of having a high pressure wash cabinet at your job).

I wish I would have been able to get the pump relief spring shimmed. But that requires pulling the front cover.

Oh, if you do pull the pan, take pictures! Always fun to look at those!

20200114_192326.jpg
Before washing. Not bad for 395k miles and never being opened.

OP
OP
cjmcglaughlin

cjmcglaughlin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright thanks y’all, I’ll do it soon. One other question I had is if I can reuse a new oil pan gasket. I had the pan gasket done (by a shop) last October and didn’t think at the time to tell them to replace this o-ring. So can I reuse that gasket or get a new one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo