Ticking sound this morning from new Yukon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2009 Yukon sle2 xfe. It has about 750 miles on it to date. This morning it was about 18deg f outside and my wife called me to come out and scrape the ice off the window. When I walked outside I could hear a light ticking noise coming from under the hood. I think she had it cranked for a couple of minutes prior to me hearing the sound.

Is this normal for this engine in cold weather? I have read some other posts about this but it looked like they were referring to older models. If Im not mistaken the xfe is a 5.3 with aluminum block.

It reminded me of a lifter (from high school hot rod days), but it sounds like lifter tick is not so common any more in theses newer engines from some of the posts I have read. Is it piston slap?

Ill take a listen today when she gets home to see if its still there and post back.

Thanks for the help!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Could be piston slap, common on older models GM SUVs but not so much on the 07-Up ones.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could very well be piston slap, but I dont know the newer ones well. If you hear it again pop your hood and try and get a better idea of where it is coming from

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It maybe the lifters. It was common on the 00-02 and I have heard a few stories of 07 and up having the same problem due to the DOD. Might want to take it in to the dealer to get it checked out. If it is the lifters it will probably only do it for a min or two when it is cold until it warms up a little.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2009 Yukon sle2 xfe. It has about 750 miles on it to date. This morning it was about 18deg f outside and my wife called me to come out and scrape the ice off the window. When I walked outside I could hear a light ticking noise coming from under the hood. I think she had it cranked for a couple of minutes prior to me hearing the sound.

Is this normal for this engine in cold weather? I have read some other posts about this but it looked like they were referring to older models. If Im not mistaken the xfe is a 5.3 with aluminum block.

It reminded me of a lifter (from high school hot rod days), but it sounds like lifter tick is not so common any more in theses newer engines from some of the posts I have read. Is it piston slap?

Ill take a listen today when she gets home to see if its still there and post back.

Thanks for the help!

18 degrees, 750 miles...normal.

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ticking sound while the engine is cooling dramatically due to cold temperature is pretty common with most full size suvs.

Nick911

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have the same problem, a 2007 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 L engine, has about 30,000 miles, and the engine clicks upon start up for 2-3 minutes, worst and faster with acceleration, which leads me to believe for sure that its a sticking lifter valve. My 2001 Silverado does the same thing, and has for the last 30000 miles or so.

What can I do for these sticky lifters? Is this something that can harm the vehicle?

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700