Thump in floorboard can’t fine source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive do you happen to have that TSB for the crossmember?
Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation) #03-08-61-002E - (Apr 14, 2005)

2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade

2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

and other 2003 - 2005 GMT800 vehicles.
Note: All 1500 Series (½ Ton) with Two-Wheel Drive

Hmmm, I thought the Escalade was ALL Wheel Drive?

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002D (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a snap or popping-type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This condition is most apparent during hard left or right turns at low speeds. Going over bumps while turning may also aid in producing this noise.

Correction

Change the front crossmember fastener orientation using the procedure listed below.

Important: DO NOT slot the mounting holes on the crossmember as stated in previous bulletins. Slotting the holes has been found to be less effective and, in some cases, causes the noise condition to be more prevalent.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.
2. Remove the mounting nuts, bolts and the front crossmember from the vehicle.
3. Clean all the undercoating off the crossmember in the area of the mounting holes.
4. Reinstall the crossmember with the bolts and nuts. On the passenger side, replace existing washer with GM P/N 11509592 or equivalent washer (see dimensions below) at each bolt head and nut location.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 120 N·m (89 lb ft).

5. Apply an even coat of Anti-Corrosion Coating, P/N 12346501, or equivalent, to the crossmember where removed. Overlap the original coating in order to provide an effective corrosion protection.

Washer:

Inside Diameter: 14 mm (0.551 in)

Outside Diameter: 35 mm (1.38 in)

Thickness: 3 mm (0.118 in)

Part Information

Qty, 4 each, 11509592 Washer

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after speaking to a friend of mine that described the same noise in his avalanche and it went away after he did a lift (changed out the whole front suspension), I did the same. I bought all new upper and lower control arms. These were factory replacements with all bushings and ball joints installed. Ball joints appeared to be a little sloppy with the two lowers being the worst. The bushings also were pretty rough but all in all, not what I was expecting. Took a small ride down some bumpy roads and sound is still there and actually sounds a little worse. This makes me wonder if possibly the noise is from a arm bolts not being tight enough? The holes in the frame appeared to be normal. Not sure what to look at next other than body mounts. I’m pretty pissed at this point because I was sure I found the problem. I mean the truck has 180k miles so it’s not a bad idea to have changed what I did. Only problem was this was a HUGE pain to do. I’ve got a decent amount of tools but a torch and air hammer would have helped. On both sides the upper front a arm bolts snapped and took for ever to get out. The rest wasn’t too bad except for driver side lower ball joint. I ended up buying a fork and still had to put a jack under it while beating the snot out it to get it to pop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10