Thinking about a 6.0 swap. What do i Need??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a really good deal on a LQ4 and a 4L80 tranny It came out of an 04 2500HD. I might be interested in putting both in my Tahoe. It has about 80k less miles on it than my Tahoes engine and tranny.

My question is: what all would I need to complete the swap? will it bolt right up or do i need anything to make it work? Im assuming I need my PCM from the donner vehicle. What else?

Last edited:

Biloff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it would best to buy it a a complete Drop out. Meaning they leave the wireing harness and all accessories and brackets attached. I have never done a swap on the truck, but its best to have everything out of the same truck and at our finger tips.

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a really good deal on a LQ4 and a 4L80 tranny It came out of an 04 2500HD. I might be interested in putting both in my Tahoe. It has about 80k less miles on it than my Tahoes engine and tranny.

My question is: what all would I need to complete the swap? will it bolt right up or do i need anything to make it work? Im assuming I need my PCM from the donner vehicle. What else?

It will bolt up except for the tranny.
You will need a custom cross member. The 80e is a bit longer.
You may re-use the same drive shaft if you change the yoke.
NEW shifter bracket at the tranny.
New trans dipstick etc
You will need the computer re-programed and tuned for the 80e and 6.0.

Get it as complete as you can. I have a VMAX and 80e in my Tahoe.

hidpositive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was very surprised by how many lq swaps are on here, I would love to be able to get a duramax and allison in my 06 Denali! lol, but know it would defiantly financially and stressfully be better off to just buy a silverado or sierra already with a diesel in it

OP
OP
Diggerdan11

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. I just need to decide if its worth spending the money on. I could do lots of things to the tahoe for the price

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. I just need to decide if its worth spending the money on. I could do lots of things to the tahoe for the price

I hear you on that I'm in a rut now as well my cuz works on engines for a living and rebuilds them and beefs um up idk whether to rebuild and beef up the 5.3 or go for the six.. I'd really love to know what you can get out of the stock hoe engines plus I heard our 5.3's are way more reliable... :shrug:

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about a 5.3 being way more reliable then a 6.0. IMO that is a fairy's tale.

6.0 and you have more room to start growing. You build 408s out of 6.0s not 5.3s fellas. Im just saying no replacement for displacement, and this is a direct drop in. And leaves more on the table.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Next thing to consider would be$$-per hp/tq... 6.0 stock is...

"It used all-wheel drive with a 3.73 final drive gear ratio and included the 6.0 L Vortec 6000 LQ4 V8 rated at 325 hp (242 kW) at 5000 rpm and 370 lb"

so say the whole swap costs under 4 grand that's still a ton of dough and then there's not much $$ to dump in it once you drop it in (thinking for myself here) I believe the stock tahoes range from 280-295 hp depending on years so 325 wouldn't be to too hard to get up to I think with a CAI, BBT (black bears claims a 20-25 hp bump), and an exhaust you should be right there or around there am I right or crazy

Last edited:

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well add CAI, BB tune etc, to the 6.0 and kill a5.3 with those same mods.

that swap is no where near 4grand. a lq4 can be had from 600-1300 and junkyards that offer 3month warranty. Couple a tranny with the motor and they go from 1400-1800 together! That includes computer and wire harness.

325-295 is like 30hp. A big difference to most people. The Lq9 are rated at 345 but dyno 355hp. Stock, so again, add CAI, BB etc. and have a hell of a better motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts