The Oil Leak Game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmt502

Reaction score
Well gents, I've been trying to track down this leak since shortly after buying the truck back in June. I'd purchased a new oil pressure sending unit last weekend with the though that my source was surely coming from there. Nope. The unit in place is dry. No oil around it. I could only feel around that area since visibility is so poor, but came up with nothing. Decided not to go through with changing it yet. Then I though the oil cooler block off plate might be the culprit. I crawled under the truck and started looking around. I could see oil going up the side of the block to a small drip hanging from the number 7 cylinder spark plug ignition coil connector (I think). See picture below:

5AD090FD-74DA-406E-B476-3717F4D902D7_1_105_c.jpeg

So any chance this might be related to a leaking valve cover? I don't notice any drips when it's parked. Only oil loss/consumption happens during driving.

Ugh.

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
I'm going to take a look at the valve cover tomorrow, just to see if there's any other traces of oil higher up. The engine seems to run and start fine. I don't have any CELs either. I plan to also pull the spark plug and look to see if it's coated in oil. Hopefully the oil isn't leaking from the spark plug port...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replaced a valve cover gasket in my ‘07 for a similar leak. Let us know what you find

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Doing mine soon. The oil from them can leak in the strangest places.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Well gents, I've been trying to track down this leak since shortly after buying the truck back in June. I'd purchased a new oil pressure sending unit last weekend with the though that my source was surely coming from there. Nope. The unit in place is dry. No oil around it. I could only feel around that area since visibility is so poor, but came up with nothing. Decided not to go through with changing it yet. Then I though the oil cooler block off plate might be the culprit. I crawled under the truck and started looking around. I could see oil going up the side of the block to a small drip hanging from the number 7 cylinder spark plug ignition coil connector (I think). See picture below:

View attachment 260297

So any chance this might be related to a leaking valve cover? I don't notice any drips when it's parked. Only oil loss/consumption happens during driving.

Ugh.

How many miles are on your rig? The valve cover and valley pan cover gaskets start leaking around 120k miles. It's not easy to identify a leak on the valley cover, they usually leak from the back by the firewall.

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
How many miles are on your rig? The valve cover and valley pan cover gaskets start leaking around 120k miles. It's not easy to identify a leak on the valley cover, they usually leak from the back by the firewall.

I’m at 225k miles.

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
Ok, so I started with removing plug 7. I removed the wire and looked around the plug shield.

Top side:

17FF0659-7827-4F7D-B6BF-744D400AED71.jpeg

Bottom side:

BCBEAC26-D5FE-4202-A85D-F5050DBB822E.jpeg

Then started removing the plug. It was loose. Like less than hand-tight loose. I was startled by how loose it was. Here’s how it looked.

E9E15C75-00FB-47D0-8E54-FC3972F56981.jpeg

Didn’t necessarily want to do a plug and wire job today, but hey, why not. I wiped this plug off a bit and replaced it in 7 so I could go get some plugs and wires. Before doing that, I decided to take a look at the valve cover:

C9A53244-CBDC-4AB0-950B-15681C89F87B.jpeg

AB7634B6-33F7-45B2-AEAF-0C747F47ABBD.jpeg

Looks like a leak to me. What do you think? I’ve got a new valve cover coming in the next few days.

I’m going to check plug 7 again when I change the valve cover. Couldn’t get a good angle to see any of the valley pan cover except for the front part. Didn’t want to get into a bigger job than I had time for today.

Part of me wants to say the oil on plug 7 is due to it being loose and a leak dripping down onto the plug shield and chasing into the plug well threads. But I know that’s best case scenario. Wouldn’t I be getting a CEL with misfire codes if I had oil getting pumped out of the spark plug well??? I don’t know.

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
Here’s how my old plugs looked. They’re arranged in order of front to back from left to right. Plug 7 looks the worst. But plugs 3, 5, 4, and 6 didn’t look so great either.

03C6FE98-CC63-4BB6-ABAF-3C99A6D26E08.jpeg

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these about a year ago. It’s great for working on the car like finding leaks, checking brake pad wear ( if you don’t want to take the wheel off ), finding that damn bolt you dropped on top of a cross-member or a whole list of crap around the house. Some of them have adjustable LED lights, small hook or magnet. The one I have has a 15’ lead on it. The image shows on your phone and you can choose to take a picture or video.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352477906922

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolerpack