The infamous "Stability System Disabled" message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeWax13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. I have an 03 Denali that is sporadically giving me the "Stability System Disabled" message. I look everywhere and can only find people that seem to get that message along with other problems. That is why I created a new post.

When I get this message, there are NO other errors showing up. I am not losing power or anything else.

I just randomly get a message on the display saying "Stability System Disabled". The vehicle doesn't change in the way it drives or rides or anything. There is no indication of a problem other than the message on the screen. It seems to do it almost daily, and goes away when I restart the engine. Has anyone else seen this problem? I had a tech friend of mine run an engine scan on it, and no errors came up. I'm thinking I need to scan a different system?

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks.

DeepSeaFish

Reaction score
could be a bad on/off switch for the stability system or a short in one of the wires going to the system itself. Have a tech check the switch, but an electrical diagnosis can get costly when chasing wires. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

MikeWax13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any idea where the switch is located? I'd like to check it out myself before paying for service.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this same problem its gotten to the point were the brakes started to lock up on me. I can't figure out what the hell is going on. Took it to a shop they claimed since I put a Wilwood kit on the pressure from the master cylinder was to much for the kit so they had to put a spacer on the MC to reduce pressure since then I haven't had no issue (cross fingers,knock on wood all that good stuff ) the SS light came on once prior to installing the kit took it to the dealer and they said that there was no codes popping up and just cleared it from the system.I personally think the whole SS system is screwed on our denali's and GM failed to recall .

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres one particular road that when i go down, my light comes on. its never happened anywhere else. theres a really soft shoulder with a dip on only the passenger side, happens everytime i hit that dip. but i moved like a yr ago, so light hasnt come back on

OP
OP
M

MikeWax13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine did it this morning on the way to work. Driving along totally normal, flat road, no bumps, etc. Flashed on the display "Stability System Disabled". I didn't notice anything else at all. If I didn't see the message on the display, I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. This is starting to piss me off. My main worry is that there's a deeper issue that's starting to work it's way to the surface and this is just the beginning.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did it this morning on the way to work. Driving along totally normal, flat road, no bumps, etc. Flashed on the display "Stability System Disabled". I didn't notice anything else at all. If I didn't see the message on the display, I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. This is starting to piss me off. My main worry is that there's a deeper issue that's starting to work it's way to the surface and this is just the beginning.

+1

Country kidz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 06 Tahoe just started showing stability system disabled in dash, no other problems. Pushing the button doesn't make a difference. Did you ever figure out what was going on?

OP
OP
M

MikeWax13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No idea at all. Mine still flashes the measage every day or so.

Wax

Sixty9Pontiyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stability System et-al...

I first encountered this problem 2 months ago when pulling my boat up a steep hill. Then I got the "reduced power mode" flashing on my dash and couldnt go more than 20 mph. I pulled over, shut off the truck, restarted and it was gone.
Yesterday when coming home from the grocery store, the "stability system" message popped up again. It flashed 3 times during the trip, dash gauges did a full sweep, and lights blinked?
Has anyone had this experience?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71