The good stuff, right in front of us

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amanda4461

Reaction score
Hello folks,
Just wanted to say thanks for the free info provided on this forum by many guys and gals who take pictures, make drawings and describe in detail how best to work or maintain our Chevy trucks. In my case:
-You have kept my doors from rotting out due to plugged drain holes, and showed me how to quickly drain the door when the tiny weep hole plugs up on the rear doors, which it always does. I did not know that the weatherstrip plugs would allow water to be drained, but once I did, I used them to drain and then flush out the weep holes.
-Told me how to troubleshoot the air ride compressor, how to buy a new one that works, and how to install it. Still going strong.
-Told and showed me how to change the lifter valley Oil pressure sending unit and remove and replace that damn itty bitty plugged off screen. Knowing in advance what tools to have on-hand makes a big difference.
-Provided some neat builds in how-to and even put some great sound to the U-tube videos. Downside is I now NEED a Whipple, Headers & Dual Exhaust, etc.
-Told me about the nice bright LED Backup lamps that really make a difference in backing up my long driveway.
-More that I don't remember, but I have CRS disease......
Thanks for the great efforts!

OP
OP
A

Amanda4461

Reaction score
The doors on the Tahoe have weep holes to keep water from building up inside and rusting out the door skins. At least 2 drain holes exist. One is at the very corner edge of the doors, and is a small weep hole, easily plugged up. Right beside the weep hole is a rubber grommet plug that holds the bottom weatherstripping in place. If you pop that grommet out and pull back the rubber weatherstripping, water will flow out easily due to the larger diameter of the hole once the grommet is removed. However, all is not yet ok. The grommet hole is higher up on the door than the corner-edge weep hole, so if the weep hole is plugged, your door can hold quite a bit of water, preparing to rot your door skins. Even after it quits draining from the grommet hole, it has a bunch of trapped water inside. The weep hole is the drain hole that needs to remain open.
When I parked my Tahoe on a grade at the pistol range after a hard rain the day before, I noticed a steady trickle of water flowing down the running board. The water was coming from the grommet hole, since the weep hole was plugged up. My rear door had several inches of rain water in the bottom of the door. It quit dripping once I got home, so I then checked the weep hole, finding it plugged up with dirt and scale.
I took my water hose and forced a direct spray into the grommet hole, allowing the bottom of the door to fill up with water for a few seconds, then used the wire/paper-clip to rod out the weep hole, letting the trapped water and the crud trapped in the hole flow out. I had to keep using a piece of small diameter wire,or a paper-clip to stick up in the weep holes until water came out. Once the water had drained, I used my air compressor to blow air up into the weep hole and also into the bottom of the door grommet to help dry things out.

upload_2017-4-3_9-21-32.png

Attachments

• Tahoe Door Drain weep hole pic2.doc
    101.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Yep years ago, well not too long ago you needed a manual to work on things, Heck now search google and you get just about everything you need to work on anything from car to appliances and everything in between. Of course I still like to have a manual to read from. YouTube is great also.!!!!!!!!!!

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The doors on the Tahoe have weep holes to keep water from building up inside and rusting out the door skins. At least 2 drain holes exist. One is at the very corner edge of the doors, and is a small weep hole, easily plugged up. Right beside the weep hole is a rubber grommet plug that holds the bottom weatherstripping in place. If you pop that grommet out and pull back the rubber weatherstripping, water will flow out easily due to the larger diameter of the hole once the grommet is removed. However, all is not yet ok. The grommet hole is higher up on the door than the corner-edge weep hole, so if the weep hole is plugged, your door can hold quite a bit of water, preparing to rot your door skins. Even after it quits draining from the grommet hole, it has a bunch of trapped water inside. The weep hole is the drain hole that needs to remain open.
When I parked my Tahoe on a grade at the pistol range after a hard rain the day before, I noticed a steady trickle of water flowing down the running board. The water was coming from the grommet hole, since the weep hole was plugged up. My rear door had several inches of rain water in the bottom of the door. It quit dripping once I got home, so I then checked the weep hole, finding it plugged up with dirt and scale.
I took my water hose and forced a direct spray into the grommet hole, allowing the bottom of the door to fill up with water for a few seconds, then used the wire/paper-clip to rod out the weep hole, letting the trapped water and the crud trapped in the hole flow out. I had to keep using a piece of small diameter wire,or a paper-clip to stick up in the weep holes until water came out. Once the water had drained, I used my air compressor to blow air up into the weep hole and also into the bottom of the door grommet to help dry things out.
Just had a hard rain last night and when I moved my Yukon I hear water swishing around in the doors. Mostly the rear. Have any pictures of the grommets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA