The dreaded flashing Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was only the one time i think you just made it angry lol

maybe you were bouncing off the rev limiter? or over revving it?

OP
OP
Motojoe86

Motojoe86

Reaction score
well, how did it do? we are all wondering! I have some similar symptoms as well as bad alternator symptoms,, I got a lifetime warranty alternator, thinking of taking it in now, test it, demand replacment, see if that clears up both sets of issues... great job getting this post some attention and thanks to all the experienced ** owners to reply!

Hey guys, im sorry I hadnt been back on with crazy 16 hour days last week. Unfortunately it was not the alternator. I forgot to mention that i installed a new 875 amp battery as well. I changed fuel filter and alternator friday. I just was on the highway for firat time yesterday amd for about 2 minutes at 85 mph all was fine and then the cel started blinking again. At this point im thinking its one of 9r a combination of cats, o2 sensors or fuel pump :-(

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, im sorry I hadnt been back on with crazy 16 hour days last week. Unfortunately it was not the alternator. I forgot to mention that i installed a new 875 amp battery as well. I changed fuel filter and alternator friday. I just was on the highway for firat time yesterday amd for about 2 minutes at 85 mph all was fine and then the cel started blinking again. At this point im thinking its one of 9r a combination of cats, o2 sensors or fuel pump :-(

I just replaced my MAF and my trims went from 22% to 10-12%. So now I'm ready to get this tweaked by Lewis over at diablewtune. Anyone here heard of him? So far he's been great and caught my lean condition and said it needs to be fixed before moving on.

OP
OP
Motojoe86

Motojoe86

Reaction score
Thanks again everybody for all the insight. So far, still havent figured it out. Im gonna try to get it hooked up to run live diagnostics. Ill list current work done vs my next thoughts and continue listening to feedback lol. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Work done:
-new battery
-new alternator
-new belt
-new plugs
-new coils
-new wires
-cleaned maf
-cleaned throttle body
-oil change
-trans fluid and filter
-fuel filter
-air filter
-pcv valve
-fuel pressure regulator
-diffs and t-case fluid replacement
-fuel pressure test (idle and neutral acceleration)
-crankshaft position sensor
-im sure theres a few that im missing

Thoughts of work still to do:
-catalytic converter
-oxygen sensors
-fuel pump
-vacuum test (intake manifold?)
-timing?

I dunno. A lot of the stuff done, I dont mind too much as it clearly wasnt maintained by last owner and needed a lot of it. Starting to get quite expensive and frustrating now. Truck is supposed to become my daily driver but I have been driving my tundra til I can trust this. Appreciate all tye suggestions and help you guys are giving. Sorry, some 9f this stuff is taking a little while and I cant check or update until i have the funds and time to do certain parts. Im fixing as my finances allow lol

OP
OP
Motojoe86

Motojoe86

Reaction score
I just replaced my MAF and my trims went from 22% to 10-12%. So now I'm ready to get this tweaked by Lewis over at diablewtune. Anyone here heard of him? So far he's been great and caught my lean condition and said it needs to be fixed before moving on.

What do you mean your trims? Was that causing blinking cel?

OP
OP
Motojoe86

Motojoe86

Reaction score
Also, someone tild me it could be sticking lifters... Does that seem inline with the symptom does anyone know? And if so, I presume theres no easyish fix for that without tear down? Thanks!

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
What do you mean your trims? Was that causing blinking cel?
I didnt get blinking CEL, i got solid on, but I had many of the same symptoms you have mentioned, thats why I was watching this thread. Do you have code reader, preferably one that can read data? I have the Autel AL619 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...autel+scanne.TRS0&_nkw=autel+scanner&_sacat=0

Reading the 'trims' is where you monitor/observe your short term and long term fuel trims, STFT and LTFT. these are what the adjustments your PCM is making in order to keep A/F ratio at optimal 14.x to 1. so, if any sensor is reading badly, malfunctioning or sending a reading that is a result of another faulity part (gap in intake gasket for example) this will cause the PCM to adjust Air fuel mix to compensate. you monitor it warmed up in closed loop, at idle , 1500 rpm and 2400rpm to see where the activity occurs. in your case, it seems to be under higher load, low vacuum, high air flow, situation for example. You also could just be having misfires(but many things cause that i am finding out), thats what i see by a basic check. I had those too along with bad reading from MAF, our cases are similar possibly but may have different causes. you have done a lot, but cleaning your MAF can cause damage if you do it incorrectly or if its already damaged, it wont show as anything changed after cleaning if damaged/ or operating badly prior to cleaning. if you have a buddy with a working Tahoe, no CEL, try to trade parts, the MAF for starters. this thing, I am finding out can be a ***** to figure out and simply needs replacing. mine was $80 on amazon, opened box returned. i heard dont use aftermarket MAF's, only AC Delco/Delphi are recommended.
If anyone finds anything i said wrong, please correct. this is the first time I have tried to put this into words and may have missed something or be confused myself!
Thanks

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
Also, someone tild me it could be sticking lifters... Does that seem inline with the symptom does anyone know? And if so, I presume theres no easyish fix for that without tear down? Thanks!

Hmm, sticking lifters, can be fixed, if lucky, by trying different methods to 'clean' them.
back to the AL619, it will tell you which cylinder(s) is misfiring. this is a big key. if its one or two vs all, can you tell you if its isolated to cylinder(s) or global to the engine, thus helping to find the cause. MY AL619 told me it was cylinder 6 when mine went bad in November, which started my whole project to rebuild the top end. i couldnt tell where the god awful sound was coming from but i had misfire in 6. tore top end apart, there it was,, lifter to exhaust in 6 , stuck in the bore!

I would try the cheap/easy ways to fix the lifters. does it sound like they are clicking/clacking/ticking/tacking , at idle, cold, warm or at high load? does your oil pressure guage work? what is it reading(its not real accurate i hear)? does it move up when under accelaration or higher rpms? these would be signs its working and you have some oil pressure. thats going to be a key, i feel, to try to 'clean' the lifters using one of the various ways mentioned. One i would like to try if i ever need it, is using transmission fluid. its high in detergents and some have had success quieting their lifters down with it. its a flush, not a replacement! you can find that info if you search.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as we know, the only code he's gotten is P0300 which is a random misfire. If it was a particular cylinder misfiring, the code would be P0301 for cylinder #1, P0302 for cylinder #2, etc. I'm sure he would've mentioned ticking if it was doing that.

Weak fuel supply and clogged exhaust present very similar characteristics, but I'm leaning towards a weak fuel supply or ignition failures. Again, a trained and experienced eye watching a live data stream should be able to find something fairly quickly. An odd signal from the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, etc. right about the time it throws the misfire code should stand out.

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
More flashing CEL info:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2001-tahoe-blinking-check-engine-light.28786/
As far as we know, the only code he's gotten is P0300 which is a random misfire. If it was a particular cylinder misfiring, the code would be P0301 for cylinder #1, P0302 for cylinder #2, etc. I'm sure he would've mentioned ticking if it was doing that.

Weak fuel supply and clogged exhaust present very similar characteristics, but I'm leaning towards a weak fuel supply or ignition failures. Again, a trained and experienced eye watching a live data stream should be able to find something fairly quickly. An odd signal from the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, etc. right about the time it throws the misfire code should stand out.

That is not fully correct. My one code reader only saw p0300 but my other one read p0306. So, based on what I have seen, it's dependent on the code reader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck