Testing magneride strut?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my 13’ Escalades entire suspension back in mid december with OEM parts. It would periodically throw a “service suspension “ DIC message for right front shock open circuit “. It did this before the repairs (same code). After the repairs sometimes a week could go by without an error sometimes it would do throw it for a couple days. Just recently it’s been every time I start the trunk, scanning it always yields “right front shock open circuit “ DTC, it also had a module failure DTC on the list. I’ve tried reconnecting the shock plugs and that didn’t seem too do much, my spidy-sense is leaning towards a possible broken wire or faulty module? Does anyone know if there’s a way to test the shock or plug? I was thinking about swapping struts around? What’s your opinions on how to approach this? Are the suspension modules prone to failure?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that you have a wire failure, possibly close to the strut tower itself. If you wiggle the wire, do you get the DIC message?

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that you have a wire failure, possibly close to the strut tower itself. If you wiggle the wire, do you get the DIC message?
I haven’t had much time to dig into it but that’s where I plan on looking first. Start peeling back some of the plastic wire loom and check it out. I’ll do a follow up post one I get into it

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my 13’ Escalades entire suspension back in mid december with OEM parts. It would periodically throw a “service suspension “ DIC message for right front shock open circuit “. It did this before the repairs (same code). After the repairs sometimes a week could go by without an error sometimes it would do throw it for a couple days. Just recently it’s been every time I start the trunk, scanning it always yields “right front shock open circuit “ DTC, it also had a module failure DTC on the list. I’ve tried reconnecting the shock plugs and that didn’t seem too do much, my spidy-sense is leaning towards a possible broken wire or faulty module? Does anyone know if there’s a way to test the shock or plug? I was thinking about swapping struts around? What’s your opinions on how to approach this? Are the suspension modules prone to failure?
those front shock connectors are tricky, if you can pull it off by hand then it is not connected properly. it has to be connected with the lock tab open then close the lock tab.
if you have a tech2 you can monitor the shock live data while driving.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those front shock connectors are tricky, if you can pull it off by hand then it is not connected properly. it has to be connected with the lock tab open then close the lock tab.
I have a bidirectional scanner that displays live suspension information.
I data logged it the other day and everything seemed to be working after clearing the DTC but always come back next ignition cycle. I don’t think I put the blue connector that connects to the strut in the same way you described, I’m thinking I lined it up and pushed it onto the strut. I’ll go run out and just try reconnecting it real quick before I put the kids down for a nap. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the blue connector off and sprayed it was electrical cleaner and blew it out with air reconnected everything and same thing. I hooked my scanner up and took some screenshots of the live dataIMG_0350.pngIMG_0347.png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the blue connector off and sprayed it was electrical cleaner and blew it out with air reconnected everything and same thing. I hooked my scanner up and took some screenshots of the live dataView attachment 423905View attachment 423906
this is the connector I am talking about, it sits on top of the shock rod
the black piece is the locking tab, you pull that off then the spring can be released by pushing it in.
kk.jpgkk1.jpgkk2.jpg

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the connector I am talking about, it sits on top of the shock rod
the black piece is the locking tab, you pull that off then the spring can be released by pushing it in.
View attachment 423911View attachment 423912View attachment 423913
Yeah I took that off cleaned it and put it back on it was completely seated. I briefly check the wires leading to the strut and they’re wrapped in electrical tape. I’ll pull it in the garage this week and check it out a little closer. It’s a little strange that either front damper actuators reading any percentage.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I took that off cleaned it and put it back on it was completely seated. I briefly check the wires leading to the strut and they’re wrapped in electrical tape. I’ll pull it in the garage this week and check it out a little closer. It’s a little strange that either front damper actuators reading any percentage.
might want to check and clean up the suspension module harness also it is in the back under the spare wheel area and gets exposed to the elements

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might want to check and clean up the suspension module harness also it is in the back under the spare wheel area and gets exposed to the elements
My scan tool did have a module failure DTC but hasn’t returned after clearing. The “right front actuator open circuit” comes back instantly after clearing though. Id pull it in the shop but I just painted and cleared a set of platinum front and rear bumper covers. I was thinking that I’ll first trace the wires back as far as I can, ill clean the plug end on the module like you suggested, then possibly swapping the struts to see if one of the struts might be faulty. Otherwise I have a used module in my eBay cart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts