Temp gauge????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason to hook a scan tool to the vehicle is to run it and compare the temperature reading the dash is showing to the temperature the PCM is seeing. Temperature sensors/senders are nothing more than a thermistor, they lose resistance when they get hot. There are specs for the sensor/sender resistance to temperature so you can actually use an ohmeter to check the sender. I cannot remember the range, but it's in a manual that the dash gauge works at, it used to be 0-100ohms but not sure on your year. You can test the gauge by using a variable resistance connected to the sending unit wire and ground.

OP
OP
O

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
The reason to hook a scan tool to the vehicle is to run it and compare the temperature reading the dash is showing to the temperature the PCM is seeing. Temperature sensors/senders are nothing more than a thermistor, they lose resistance when they get hot. There are specs for the sensor/sender resistance to temperature so you can actually use an ohmeter to check the sender. I cannot remember the range, but it's in a manual that the dash gauge works at, it used to be 0-100ohms but not sure on your year. You can test the gauge by using a variable resistance connected to the sending unit wire and ground.
The knowledge in hear is insane! Thanks. Been writing down notes from all the info ive received. I didnt get a chance to scan yesterday but i will today.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The knowledge in hear is insane! Thanks. Been writing down notes from all the info ive received. I didnt get a chance to scan yesterday but i will today.
Unfortunately there are days where I realize I forgot more than I remember! The one thing great in todays world is the ease of looking things up.

mjgirard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After replacing the thermostat with 187 degree one along with new radiator & heater hoses as well as a new radiator the temp gauge still is just above 160 degrees.

My question now is, is it the gauge cluster In my 2001 Tahoe?
How difficult is it to replace the cluster?

Thanks for the assistance.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After replacing the thermostat with 187 degree one along with new radiator & heater hoses as well as a new radiator the temp gauge still is just above 160 degrees.

My question now is, is it the gauge cluster In my 2001 Tahoe?
How difficult is it to replace the cluster?

Thanks for the assistance.

I would recommend starting your own thread in the correct year forum, for more focused answers.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, different clusters and systems for GMT 400 vs later generations.

The cluster on my OBS K3500 is always at the 1/4 mark, all the time. Never goes any higher. If I hook up a scanner, it reads correctly like at 190F. Seems like that's actually a very common thing on these trucks IIRC. Same as the speedometer reporting inaccurately on certain trucks, which mine also does :-(

I never understood why these older generation of trucks had 2 temperature sensors, one for the cluster and another for the ECU (and they don't really know or care what each other are reporting AFAIK). Pretty goofy...

Last edited:

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, different clusters and systems for GMT 400 vs later generations.

The cluster on my OBS K3500 is always at the 1/4 mark, all the time. Never goes any higher. If I hook up a scanner, it reads correctly like at 190F. Seems like that's actually a very common thing on these trucks IIRC. Same as the speedometer reporting inaccurately on certain trucks, which mine also does :-(

I never understood why these older generation of trucks had 2 temperature sensors, one for the cluster and another for the ECU (and they don't really know or care what each other are reporting AFAIK). Pretty goofy...
Goofy?, no simple Yes! Work on later junk with a smart cluster or a body computer once they get a little age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts