Temp gauge????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
So. My temp gauge will warm up to 210 mark, then drops down to the fat strip, climb back up to 210, drop down the fat strip again. Finally, it will level out at the tick before the 210 mark. I swapped out the tstat and a new radiator was installed right before i bought it. I just did a drain and fill. This is what looked liked....after it had been sitting with the engine off fir about 10 mins. Not sure what do to next other than take it to a shop.
20231016_185331.jpg

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bleed the system after that work?

Is the upper hose getting hot?

If you have a scanner, check to see what the coolant temperature sensor is reporting to see if it’s really running hot.

OP
OP
O

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
I did bleed the system. Maybe i didnt get all the air out. The upper hose was slightly warm.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be notably hotter once the thermostat opens, so it may be sticking somehow. What model/setpoint thermostat did you use?

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it have these same symptoms before replacing the thermostat? If not, what led you to replace the thermostat in the first place?

An IR laser thermometer can help confirm whether what you're seeing on the gauge is accurate or not as well.

OP
OP
O

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
Did it have these same symptoms before replacing the thermostat? If not, what led you to replace the thermostat in the first place?

An IR laser thermometer can help confirm whether what you're seeing on the gauge is accurate or not as well.
Yes. It did have these symptoms before the thermostat. The upper radiator hose burst one night. I replaced it and its been doing this ever since.

OP
OP
O

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
Did the tstat last night. This morning i went to check for leaks and the overflow tank was bone dry and rad fluid was low. No milky oil.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It did have these symptoms before the thermostat. The upper radiator hose burst one night. I replaced it and its been doing this ever since.
Does the heat blow hot? Any antifreeze smell coming out of the tailpipe?

When I refill after a drain for any reason, I start the engine and put the heater on hot and fan on high. You know when the thermostat opens typically when the heat blows hot. At that point continue to top the radiator off and cap it once full. Once the engine is warm, fill the overflow tank to at least the "hot" line. I usually go an inch or so past that line after a refill of the system to accommodate for any air that may work itself out in the next few days of driving it.

When doing all of this continue to monitor that temp so as to not overheat the engine.

OP
OP
O

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
Does the heat blow hot? Any antifreeze smell coming out of the tailpipe?

When I refill after a drain for any reason, I start the engine and put the heater on hot and fan on high. You know when the thermostat opens typically when the heat blows hot. At that point continue to top the radiator off and cap it once full. Once the engine is warm, fill the overflow tank to at least the "hot" line. I usually go an inch or so past that line after a refill of the system to accommodate for any air that may work itself out in the next few days of driving it.

When doing all of this continue to monitor that temp so as to not overheat the engine.
Thank you for your response. The heat does blow hot..or at least really warm. I dont smell coolant from the exhaust. It almost feel like the tstat never opens and the gauge just keeps going up. I just replaced the tstat. I will try to get more air out of it today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts