Tech 2 showing multiple DTCs - Related?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your battery has lost its reserve capacity. Fire up the Tech-2, build the vehicle and go to BCM, then BCM again and select Charging Info. In there look at the "state of charge" and "start up state of charge". GM considers the battery done for when it's state of charge is below 65% if memory serves.

Did this test tonight. Both "State of Charge" and "Start State of Charge" are showing at 70% and it says "NO" in the "Low State of Charge" field. Still suspect a problem with the battery, or are the DIC messages coming from something else?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this test tonight. Both "State of Charge" and "Start State of Charge" are showing at 70% and it says "NO" in the "Low State of Charge" field. Still suspect a problem with the battery, or are the DIC messages coming from something else?
What was the battery voltage? If she's in the low 12s or 11s she's done for too, especially if it's cold out.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the battery voltage? If she's in the low 12s or 11s she's done for too, especially if it's cold out.

Yup, that's probably it:

Battery voltage: 11.4
Batt. open ckt. voltage: 12.45
Batt. voltage high res: 11.59

This was what it was showing tonight, key on/engine off, cold (but in my shop), hasn't been run in 24 hours. Probably will replace it after Christmas.

I usually buy my batteries at Costco - 3 year no questions asked warranty - but am also considering a Delco. Anyone have any experience with the Delcos on Amazon?

For some reason Amazon says it doesn't fit my 2013 Tahoe, but RA says it does and their fitment guide is much more trustworthy, IMHO.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I do to check mine is use a volt meter on the battery terminals after it has been sitting at least overnight before the vehicle is started.
Idealy you want 80% or better
10.8 volt's is the number that GM uses as "dead" at 10.8v it might not even start
batter.JPG

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's probably it:

Battery voltage: 11.4
Batt. open ckt. voltage: 12.45
Batt. voltage high res: 11.59

This was what it was showing tonight, key on/engine off, cold (but in my shop), hasn't been run in 24 hours. Probably will replace it after Christmas.

I usually buy my batteries at Costco - 3 year no questions asked warranty - but am also considering a Delco. Anyone have any experience with the Delcos on Amazon?

For some reason Amazon says it doesn't fit my 2013 Tahoe, but RA says it does and their fitment guide is much more trustworthy, IMHO.
Our charging system is not designed to charge AGMs they way they should be. They'll work, just not last as long as they could have. ACDelco does not recommend them for our generation.

We have had 3 48PS ACDelco batteries, one went 4 years, another 5 years 8 months and one is 6 years or so and still in the truck. We replaced them with 48HPG and 48GHR, which are high reserve capacity batteries. The latter has just been in for a year now and the former in my truck is now 3 years old and it's state of charge is still 80%. The latter replaced the former part number wise, they are the same stats wise if memory serves. I like them and have been buying them at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our charging system is not designed to charge AGMs they way they should be. They'll work, just not last as long as they could have. ACDelco does not recommend them for our generation.

We have had 3 48PS ACDelco batteries, one went 4 years, another 5 years 8 months and one is 6 years or so and still in the truck. We replaced them with 48HPG and 48GHR, which are high reserve capacity batteries. The latter has just been in for a year now and the former in my truck is now 3 years old and it's state of charge is still 80%. The latter replaced the former part number wise, they are the same stats wise if memory serves. I like them and have been buying them at O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Bought a new interstate (non-AGM) at Costco yesterday and put it in - I'd have liked to get the Delco, but just wanted to get it done without ordering or running around to different stores. Out the door at Costco for $130. Cold cranking speed much faster now (didn't even notice it was slower than it should be before) and no more "battery low - start engine" messages if I leave the key on for more than a minute. And I ran diagnostics with Tech 2 today, one of my previous codes on the HVAC seems to have gone away. Really just have the three codes for the parking assist and one for the EBCM. Time to start looking at connectors, wiring and grounds to solve those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo