Tail lights on with DRL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corona718

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to get my rear tail lights to come on with my DRL's,.

Seeing all these mods for 4,6 and 8 beam mods on the front end, hopefully its just as easy for for Tails with DRL's.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If you tapped into the parking light wire it would make the tails light up but it would also make the front parking lights come on too.

OP
OP
corona718

corona718

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you tapped into the parking light wire it would make the tails light up but it would also make the front parking lights come on too.

anyway you can think of, of separating out just the rear lights?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You would have to tap into the parking light in the rear of the vehicle and then install diodes to keep the current from back feeding to the front.... Not real sure why you would want to do this though.... If you want the rear lights on for safety why not just turn your parking lights on?

OP
OP
corona718

corona718

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My motivation is purely aesthetic -- you are right though there are some safety improvements with this

I love the DRL's for how distinct they are on this truck. There is no mistaking them (the same way the DRL's are on the Audi A5, my previous car).

Having the tails on give the truck life in the back

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
That's going to be difficult. Tails are tied together with the front parking lights. If you want just the rear tails to come on with drl only, you'd need to split up the circuit and isolate the rear parking lights. You won't be able to do it at the fuse box. Only way I can think of is to do what I did for my drl at night write up, make a new splice of wire on each tail, use diodes so it would feed the tails but not allow power to flow towards the front parking lights.

OP
OP
corona718

corona718

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
smhhh sounds like a lot of work.

To start, im going to do parkling lights on with DRL, see how I like that, and take it from there.

From you thread, would I do the same setup, with the diode facing the opposite way?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
When I first did the mod, I didn't use a diode and just a jumper wire. Piggybacking the drl into the running lights without a diode will make drl and parking lights on at all times when the drl are on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz