swirl marks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teqdogg

Reaction score
Dual Action or Orbital Polisher with the right pad and polish should work well.

I used a Porter Cable 7424XP with an Orange Lake Country Pad and Menzerna Power Finish after washing and claying. My XL is dark blue and it got all the swirl marks out.

After you do it, don't take it to auto car washes or wash in a circular motion. Any other questions, let me know.

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its all about the Porter Cable. No other way. I have been detailing for twenty years as a previous shop owner I have done and seen everything. Get a Porter and use a good polish w a polish pad. Take your time doing a 2x2 foot section using a cross hatch pattern, swirls will disappear and never return because you have removed them. Use a polish with no fillers, therefore what you see is what you are getting. I use 3M. I own three black vehicles. Then nourish paint with Ice synthetic spray wax bi weekly. The combo produces amazing results.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its all about the Porter Cable. No other way. I have been detailing for twenty years as a previous shop owner I have done and seen everything. Get a Porter and use a good polish w a polish pad. Take your time doing a 2x2 foot section using a cross hatch pattern, swirls will disappear and never return because you have removed them. Use a polish with no fillers, therefore what you see is what you are getting. I use 3M. I own three black vehicles. Then nourish paint with Ice synthetic spray wax bi weekly. The combo produces amazing results.

they return as sure as tomorrow will come. you can minimize the damage that causes swirls, but with any contact you will start getting light marring and that will turn into bugger and bigger "swirl" marks.

as far as nourishing paint, no can do on a none porous surface such as painted clear coat.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell y'all what ............ I've been in the business for just about 29 years now (also have owned a handful of shops and currently have 5 rigs with a mobile detailing shop :)) and the one thing that no one has mentioned is the initial cause of these swirls and how to prevent them.

It's all in the washing/drying technique.

A proper technique isn't going to prevent the swirls from reappearing, however it will prevent them from reappearing quickly or being as apparent on the darker colored vehicles.

Proper Washing Process:

I normally clean the wheels BEFORE washing so as to keep any contaminants from the wheels making contact with a freshly washed surface.

Pre-rinse the exterior so as to remove any loose contaminants from the surface (one cause of the swirls appearing is these same contaminants being caught between the wash mitt and the painted surface while washing).

Begin washing horizontally (front to back, end to end) starting with the flat surface areas first (hood/roof).

Once you've rinsed the vehicle; begin drying in the opposite direction that you washed if possible. Swirls are essentially caused by repetitive motion (circular motion) and the process explained will bring the swirls to a minimum.

If you have a blower or air hose to use in blowing the water off then that would ultimately be the best option.

When waxing/quick detailing the paint remember the same process as washing.

Some of the best OTC products to use would be a high lubricity car wash shampoo such as Meguiars Gold Class. Also, waffle weave chamois or a large micro fiber chamois will be the best for drying. Micro fiber will be the best wash mitt because it will outlast lambs wool and can be cleaned in a washer if need be. Lambs wool has a short life span and is not easily cleaned if abused.

Last thing, 2 buckets with grit guards in each. The grit guards will help to separate the contaminated water from the clean water thus preventing the contaminants to be transferred back to the painted surface when washing.
2 buckets are needed as one would be for rinsing and the other would contain the clean soapy water. If using 1 bucket then at least have one grit guard in it. These are easily found at Home Depot.

There you have it. Happy washing. :Handshake:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony, if I pay for gas and pork grinds will you swing by to wash my truck please?

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony, if I pay for gas and pork grinds will you swing by to wash my truck please?

LOL.

Drive the HyHoe down here and you'll want to ship it back when I'm finished with it. :cheers: