Sunroof questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doubletap1911

Reaction score
My wife and I were at a "Cruise-in" tonight (Springfield Missouri incase anyone was there) and I noticed an issue with my 01 Z71 Tahoe. It has a factory sunroof but I'm pretty sure this piece should not be "removeable".
(Pics as soon as I can get Tapatalk to cooperate)

Can anyone tell me what this piece does? Is it needed (it appears to seal ok with it removed)?
Could anyone post "action photos" of this piece when it is working properly?

Attachments

• IMG_20120527_014829.jpg
    IMG_20120527_014829.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20120527_014816.jpg
    IMG_20120527_014816.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Its the wind diffuser for the sunroof. It won't effect the seal but it will allow more air in the car. The increase of air will most likely create a pressure difference and you will hear a helicopter sound. Basically don't have your sunroof open at highway speed or you can buy a wind deflector that screws on to the outside. As far as I know the only fix it to replace the entire sunroof. I know the HHR have the same problem with the plastic tabs breaking. I think they may have a make shift fix for them. Stupid GM design though...

OP
OP
D

doubletap1911

Reaction score
Its the wind diffuser for the sunroof. It won't effect the seal but it will allow more air in the car. The increase of air will most likely create a pressure difference and you will hear a helicopter sound. Basically don't have your sunroof open at highway speed or you can buy a wind deflector that screws on to the outside. As far as I know the only fix it to replace the entire sunroof. I know the HHR have the same problem with the plastic tabs breaking. I think they may have a make shift fix for them. Stupid GM design though...

Thanks for the reply. That's kinda what I was thinking too. I think I'll be looking for an aftermarket diffuser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shari_s