Sub install factory head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Reed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

I was hoping for some insight, I have been searching the web for weeks trying to figure out the easiest way to do an install for subs. I want to keep my factory head unit so my steering wheel controls work and have read the easiest way is to put an RCA converter from the factory amo located under the front console. When I pulled up the cup holders I don't see any of the color wires the threads online show for outputs. Any suggestions based off of this photo or an easier way?

Thank you for your help in advance

2006 Tahoe Z71 factory Bose with rear seat entertainment (since I have kids that won't wear the headphones I want to make sure I can still play their DVDs surround sound)

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
I doubt I'll be much help, but this something worth mentioning -- I had the same thing installed in my 2010 Tahoe a couple weeks ago, and just like you said the RCA line output adapter was installed beneath the cup holders. Is there a chance that your generation wiring is different from mine, and that you're looking in the wrong area for that gen?

OP
OP
C

Cody Reed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I know the factory amp and speaker wires run down there it's just a matter A. Which one they are B. Is using the RCA the best way? Splitting the speaker wire into the converter and then pushing it all to the rear. If I knew 100 percent that I could get the DVD through an aftermarket I'd go that route, it just seems like more uncertainty than this method. How does yours sound off the converter?

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
I didnt have much input as to method, my shop said that was the best way to interface my amp/sub to the OEM system. That location also made it easier to run a bass knob between the Converter and the Amp itself. I installed an Alpine PDX M1200 to a pair of Sundown Audio SA10s and I couldn't be happier. The cost alone of trying to change the head unit, and have it interface with the steering wheel controls, DVD player, and rear entertainment made me go the simple route -- again, Im very happy with the outcome.

leonpiper69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not to hyjack but that is one of these reasons I just joined here. I don't know why people complain about the factory speakers.... but I do want to add a little more low end.

I just picked up an 07 but mine doesn't have the DVD so I am looking into the easiest way to add that seamlessly. Right now I have dual monitors that strap the headrest from the old truck but the dangling wires are getting real old. But with a road trip home this week, the 5 yr old will not last without some movies.

But I want to add a sub that takes up no room. I know JL makes one that goes in the console but I want to research them and see how much console I lose etc (don't have the Bose so the inside of my console is huge.

I wish they made a pre-fab sub that would go on the rear left like the older ones and newer ones.

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my 07. Very easy.... just get an LOC from Walmart. Unbolt and remove the center console and get down to the factory amp. Tie your LOC into the harness going into your amp. Several YouTube videos in the tie in.

Took me about 3-4 hrs to get in there and add the LOC and then button her all up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924