Aftermarket Head units question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick1024

Reaction score
Hey guys,
just picked up a 2015 LTZ. The oem navigation head unit is ok but I want to install a pioneer unit, most likely one of the NEX series units. I am looking to use the iDatalink harnesses and control box (maestro) but when I look at the options there doesnt seem to be a way to retain BOTH the factory amp and the vehicle settings. Its either or. Has anyone installed an aftermarket unit using the metra harnesses and retained both the factory settings menu and still use the factory amp?

k_arnold72

Reaction score
Most people these days go with the plug and play tesla style headunits. Not as big a market for Alpine and Pioneers since they don't always retain all the factory functions. That might be why nobody can answer the specific question asked?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
just picked up a 2015 LTZ. The oem navigation head unit is ok but I want to install a pioneer unit, most likely one of the NEX series units. I am looking to use the iDatalink harnesses and control box (maestro) but when I look at the options there doesnt seem to be a way to retain BOTH the factory amp and the vehicle settings. Its either or. Has anyone installed an aftermarket unit using the metra harnesses and retained both the factory settings menu and still use the factory amp?
The maestro rr retains most vehicle settings, regardless of what you may have been led to believe. You won't get everything but you will get the basic stuff. You can go on the idatalink website and put in the options for your vehicle and headunit you want and it will show you what is retaines

jets

Reaction score
Why go through all that hassle? Upgrade the stock unit to a Carplay unit for $900 with no nav and be done with it? You can use apple or google maps and the audio quality from the phone is very good. You can also add an AI box that piggy backs onto the Carplay and make the connection wireless Carplay with ability to run apps like google maps, netflix, whatever. I upgraded my wifes 2015 Escalade years ago and worked great.

In my 2016 setup I already had carplay but used the NAVTV M650-GM to get a pure digital 2.0 signal to my JL amp which has a digital input. Best system I have ever had in any of my 10+ vehicles. Cost a mint but the SQ is unparalleled.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Maestro actually does more than stock. You can monitor engine, trans, data etc. I'd get a sony, alpine over pioneer personally

OP
OP
R

rick1024

Reaction score
Why go through all that hassle? Upgrade the stock unit to a Carplay unit for $900 with no nav and be done with it? You can use apple or google maps and the audio quality from the phone is very good. You can also add an AI box that piggy backs onto the Carplay and make the connection wireless Carplay with ability to run apps like google maps, netflix, whatever. I upgraded my wifes 2015 Escalade years ago and worked great.

In my 2016 setup I already had carplay but used the NAVTV M650-GM to get a pure digital 2.0 signal to my JL amp which has a digital input. Best system I have ever had in any of my 10+ vehicles. Cost a mint but the SQ is unparalleled.
I like the idea because it seems to be less troublesome and cheaper than tossing a pioneer in it, but my question is using that navtv unit, is it really a flat response curve? i had a vw golf gti with the fender unit in it and added sundown subs and sundown amp to it, using the audiocontrol lc2i, and while the car had tons of fun bass, i could also tell it wasnt hitting certain frequencies. i have been an avid basshead since i was a kid, and love stuff like bass mekanik, so i know what the songs are supposed to sound like, and with that audiocontrol line out converter there were certain frequencies that simply were not present with that system. I actuall would love to go with the navtv, but do you think i will have that same issue?

jets

Reaction score
I like the idea because it seems to be less troublesome and cheaper than tossing a pioneer in it, but my question is using that navtv unit, is it really a flat response curve? i had a vw golf gti with the fender unit in it and added sundown subs and sundown amp to it, using the audiocontrol lc2i, and while the car had tons of fun bass, i could also tell it wasnt hitting certain frequencies. i have been an avid basshead since i was a kid, and love stuff like bass mekanik, so i know what the songs are supposed to sound like, and with that audiocontrol line out converter there were certain frequencies that simply were not present with that system. I actuall would love to go with the navtv, but do you think i will have that same issue?

Yes it is flat. My setup uses a M650 feeding a toslink 2.0 signal directly to a JL Audio VX800/8i for all mids, highs, center channel. I piggy backed an amp onto the VXi to power the stealthbox with a 10" sub off the VXi and the truck pounds. I'm using 7 channels on the main amp with the second amp handing the 8th which is the sub. The DRC knob is installed in the compartment in front of the cupholder and controls mid/hi volume, bass level and presets. Bluetooth connection for an iPad to adjust frequencies, presets, eq curves the whole deal. Freaking amazing. The ONLY thing I lost was front/rear fader since the 2.0 signal is left and right. If I really wanted I could setup a workaround through the VXi for fading but it doesn't matter to me. No line out converter in the world can ever compete with a pure untouched digital signal directly from the vehicle.

A neat thing is the DRC knob now controls the turn signal and other chimes so if I want silence I got it :)

I don't think you'll have the problem you had before.

Last edited:

jets

Reaction score
Dammit. I went down the rabbit hole with this head unit business.

14.4" Screen. Newest version is a lot faster than the old one many negatively reviewed. However, I do know most people can barley manage to use a phone let alone install something like this.

It appears to have RCA line outs and this unit directly interfaces with the factory stereo so I suppose this would be the next best as far as a clean output signal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz