Steering Wheel Peeling? Here's Your $5, 30 Minute Solution!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering wheel looked bad when I bought my truck, the black trim pieces were starting to peel.

It annoyed me, but the areas that had peeled off looked gloss black. So, I starting scratching with my fingernails, and indeed, the pieces are gloss black plastic under that coating that is on them.

Tools needed:

Your hands.
Any decal/adhesive remover.
A few paper towels.
A roll of tape.

I prefer the adhesive remover that can be bought at Advance Auto in a small blue can for $5. I've used it for many things. Stickers, pinstripes, and now my steering wheel.

The first step is to use your fingernails to get some edges started. Then, spray a small amount of the adhesive remover on a paper towel and rub down the trim area, gently, we aren't trying to remove anything right now, just apply a good coat and let it soak in the covering on the trim.

Don't spray the adhesive remover directly on the steering wheel, this stuff can damage other parts of your vehicle. I taped off my steering wheel controls to make sure none got on the white markings and consequently damaging them.

After a few minutes, spray some more on the paper towel on a point you've made with your finger. Be careful that none drips in your truck. Then, get to rubbing.

I suggest leaving your floor mats in, because the stuff comes off in small pieces, and when you are done you can simply remove your floor mat and shake the stuff off and vacuum out what remains.

Rub until all the adhesive is gone, but be gentler on the plastic when you reach the bottom, it can scratch.

It took me no more than 30 minutes to do it, and I was careful. Good luck!

Before:
photo.jpg

During:
photo2-1.jpg

After!:
photo3.jpg

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree - looks good and great write up!

This should help those that have a little time to spare, but don't want to go the whole way of replacing those pieces, and having to deal with the airbag in the process. Thanks for taking the time to take some photos, and write up the process for people looking into this. It always helps to have a guide to follow!

OP
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, see I am actually a fan of the woodgrain and was very close to pulling the trigger on the woodgrain replacements on eBay for $170 or so...lot of money for steering wheel trim.

Then I got to thinking they looked good black, and I had this idea. It worked out great!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any pics of the can so we know what brand you used?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking to see peoples' cans is wrong.

Nice writeup Chris ... there's nothing as rewarding as simple and cheap solutions.

Thanks. :waytogo:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool.... Thanks :) I will definitely do this soon :waytogo: mine's not bad but would look much better after this :)

OP
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine wasn't too bad, the "before" pic I posted was after a couple minutes of scratching at the top right "spoke" before the easier idea of rubbing the adhesive remover dawned upon me. But you can see what the left side looked like, I didn't purposefully remove any of that that you see on the left in the first picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse