Steering Shift and Pop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck has this weird issue and I don't know what else to try or check. Whenever I make a full lock, I feel the steering shift past the turning radius, make a popping sound and the tires squeal.

I replaced everything I could like the upper control arms, lower ball joints, steering rack and tie rods, wheel bearings and still does that weird pop. Don't know what else to replace or know what it could be. Next thing I'm leaning to are the axles since it's 4wd, but I wouldn't think they could cause the truck to shift like that.

What do you guys think it could be?

Have an 07 Tahoe LTZ.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Graystone_OG

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow nothing. My problem is that unique.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Maybe something can be loose and/or not torqued properly. Check the sway bar linkages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Graystone_OG

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a total mystery. After i replaced the steering rack and tie rods, I had got an alignment too. I had actually replaced the swaybar links and bushings with Moog beforehand.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if the spindle is hitting the control arm.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would actually be possible for the front cv shaft to be causing some issues if they are binding. At full lock is when your putting the most strain on them even with the 4wd disengaged. But i haven't worked on one of those models yet but i did have a similar issue with a 94 f150 i used to have. The univerals were so dry they were binding any time i tried to make a turn.

OP
OP
Graystone_OG

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's sound about right. Now that I think about it, it would sometimes make the pop if I reversed after doing a full turn. As if the axle was popping back in place. I was inspecting the problem before and they did have a weird angle to them when I was looking for the problem.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to duplicate the sound and give you the chance to watch it if you lift the front up in the air and have someone turn the wheel to lock and hold it while you try to spin the tire.

OP
OP
Graystone_OG

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I just wish I had started there and not replace everything else involving steering. I was so confident before that it was the steering rack, cause the rack had a lot of movement when turning the wheel side to side. Kicked myself in the ass when the problem was still there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nortonte