Years for updated pcv valve covers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstiles90

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe is a 01 with only 125k on it
it smokes on start up and drinks oil pretty good. My question is what years needed the valve cover upgrade. The gm tsb bulletin only shows the 07 up years on it on the tsb I read. My Tahoe still has the valve cover with the removable pcv valve.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if Gen3 gets an updated valve cover -
Gen 3 DID get an updated PCV Valve.
Not really a valve, nothing opens or closes or moves.
After installing on my L59, oil consumption dropped to zero.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Remove valve cover
2. Clean out oil clogged ports and make them a little bigger
3. Install new pcv valve
4.Change your oil on a better schedule so the drain ports in the cover don't clog
Not necessarily needed but I did on BOTH my 5.3s
5. Install oil catch can
6. Don't use the upgraded covers the have the same issue

My 160k mile tahoe doesn't smoke and I get about 2 ounces of oil in the Can in 2000 miles

The Silverado Can catches about 4 to 6 ounces of oil in 750 to 1000 miles....it also has 420k+ miles on it. So I give it a break on consumption

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Catch can FTW.

I just rebuilt my 262k LQ4 (just a home DIY rebuild) and took off the intake to double check my knock sensors...only a hundred miles (and like 2 weeks) and a bit of oil already on the intake manifold runners! My truck is an 06 and has the second design valve cover apparently, not the one with the rectangular port on the inside. Anyways, I installed a cheap catch can and I'll see how it does...

Reaction score
I'm surprised these LS motors have the PCV port where it is. The engine sits tilted and is lower in the back so oil is going to gravitate towards it no matter what. Then having a PCV port that's not baffled or covered by a deflector makes it even worse.

PCV should be furthest forward and at the top of the valve cover and preferably not over a rocker.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised these LS motors have the PCV port where it is.
The engine sits tilted and is lower in the back, so oil is going to gravitate towards it no matter what.
Then having a PCV port that's not baffled or covered by a deflector makes it even worse.

PCV should be furthest forward and at the top of the valve cover and preferably not over a rocker.
How would you modify the PCV system? Would you, maybe, switch the valve covers?

OP
OP
C

cstiles90

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found the tsb for the 99-02 years . There used to be an updated pcv valve .that wasn’t really an pcv valve. It had the tiny hole like the updated valve cover.its discontinued so I’m just gonna buy the updated valve cover and try it. There is a knock off of the Dorman updated valve cover on amazon for $50

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the tsb for the 99-02 years . There used to be an updated pcv valve .that wasn’t really an pcv valve. It had the tiny hole like the updated valve cover.its discontinued so I’m just gonna buy the updated valve cover and try it. There is a knock off of the Dorman updated valve cover on amazon for $50
Sounds like a plan.

That is pretty low mileage for it to be burning oil, like from wear from piston rings or valve stem seals. You've had the truck for a while? It was serviced regularly like oil changes?

OP
OP
C

cstiles90

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan.

That is pretty low mileage for it to be burning oil, like from wear from piston rings or valve stem seals. You've had the truck for a while? It was serviced regularly like oil changes?
Ive only had it a few months but It seems like someone maintained it tho based on the fact That the transmission fluid looks like new.The oil pressure is also great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bone