steering clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone else have a clunk that sounds like its in the column. i can wiggle mine uo and down and i hear a clunk now when going over bumps. i love the obs but id rip out the whole front en din a heartbeat it drives me crazy how sloppy it is and how bad the brakes are

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the intermittent steering shaft needs replaced, I have had to replace a lot of them. If you don't want to replace it for whatever reason, you CAN take it loose and grease it, but that will only help for a very short period of time.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was thinking of just swaping to cherokee shaft to get rid of the rag joint too. but it seems like the spot where my shaft bolts to column has the slop but ill look at it more. i read i could grease shaft as a bandaid

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, greasing will help temporarily. The TSB actually tells dealers not to grease just because the customer will wind up returning for another fix and it is worth it to get the new shaft in.