Steel rim repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew clark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just was offered a deal i couldnt turn down. 175 bucks for 4 studded snow tires on rims. Now what do i got to do to make the rims took real sexy?

20171202_124226.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could paint them but your problem is the rust at the lip. Unless you demount the tires so you can sand and paint the inside of the lip, the rust will creep out onto the face. Good luck.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, the tires will need to be dismounted and the wheels will need to be sandblasted and then either epoxy painted or else powder coated. You can do other things like trying to just use a wire brush and leave the tires on, but removing the tires and sandblasting the wheels will ensure that ALL the rust and corrosion is blasted off.

OP
OP
Matthew clark

Matthew clark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was kinda hoping you could steer me to the direction of what material i could use. Like the plastidip or something

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, you could use Plasti-Dip. But unless you get rid of all that rust, it will just keep getting worse. You can maybe get away with using a wire brush wheel on a grinder and get as much rust off as you can. But the biggest worry is if there's any rust along the tire bead. If the rust gets bad enough, it can cause a leak.
I had a set of wheels one time that we're BADLY corroded on the inside and all along the bead. I'm guessing the previous owner used Fix-a-flat at some point because the outside of the wheels were spotless. It got so bad that every few months it would start leaking. I had the tire dismounted and I sanded it down as best I could, then (on advice from the tire shop guy) lathered it all up in thick grease to help the bead seal better. It lasted twice as long before it started leaking again, so I guess it helped somewhat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts