Sputtering and coughing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
I want to know what fixes it because I have an 02. May be those grounds I talked about. I know you checked but did you see all of them?

No, haven't gotten to check them all yet. Fixing the braid ground from the back of the block to the firewall did fix a couple of electrical issues(security light coming on under load, etc.) but had no effect on the sputtering thing. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try and imitate Superman and fly from the middle of a 15 ft ladder, but I found out that I am NOT able to fly! Messed up my lower lumbar area pretty good. I can look into the hood with little pain, but crawling around under the truck will have to wait a bit!! :smh: You've been so helpful, though, that I will update this along the way with what I find out. I'd really like to be able to help someone else out like you guys have helped me!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We always encourage members to ask for help and to give help and especially post what did repair the problem. It all flows downhill to the next member that needs help.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Well, haven't tested continuity yet, but pulled the relay and couldn't find anything obvious. Fuse looked OK but haven't pulled it yet to make sure. Still checking things, but have what is probably a stupid quesion:

Should the ignition key get hot when/after the car is/has been running/driving? I noticed the other day that the key was rather warm - not fry an egg hot, not Indiana Jones doorknob-in-the-palm hot, but maybe hot cup of coffee hot? Not so hot you couldn't hold it in your fingers, but hot enough to get your attention.

Was wondering if the ignition switch might have anything to do with it, since the key was hot, but if that's fairly normal, I'll have to continue looking elsewhere. When I got the truck, had to have a locksmith manufacture a key, so it was just another thing to consider/scratch off the list.

TIA,

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Well, put in a new fuel relay, no change - still sputters on start-up. Changed 20a fuse, no change there either. Next stop, fuel filter. If that doesn't clear it up, then it's down and dirty. I figure I've got 3 choices;

1. Do the fuel flow/pressure test and see what that tells me
2. Find a magic wand and use it to magically fix the problem :boxed:
3. Get out the C4 and stand back. . . :D

With my back the way it is now, and I get to have cataract surgery in starting on Monday, if the fuel filter doesn't take care of it, it may just have to set for a month or so.

So, if you hear a large explosion somewhere in my neck of the woods - move on, nothing to see here, you see nothing. . . . :mad:

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
I think the pressure test should be done already but it is just MO.

You're probably right about that. Was just trying to get done what I could with what I had on hand. I really thought my back would have been better by now so I could get nasty with it, but that and eye surgery is screwing up the whole damn thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo