Sparkplug boot removal tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a set of OEM plugs sitting here for months, but I can't get the boots off the originals. What tool are you guys using to remove them, and where did you procure it?

My wife's MkIII Jetta needs new plugs badly but the same issue, so I might as well get one rather than take the truck somewhere.

bluekon

Reaction score
U shouldn't need a tool over done hundreds of tune ups at work with no tool just twist the boot around then pull up

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, these suckers are on there. no joy so far. I know the jettas with a similar style boot had to have boot pliers, assumed y'all were doing the same thing.

bluekon

Reaction score
I know they sell boot pliers did u check auto zone etc.. I've never had to use em but I haven't done a tune on a Tahoe so what do I know lol

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Eagle, i know what you mean. if you pull ******* them the wire will snap. go to advance auto parts or auto zone and pick up Autocraft PLIERS BOOT PULLER. it goes for about $9.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the cheap one from napa, gives you a bit of help.

JoeOmerta

Reaction score
If you still have the heat shield on the wires(the metal piece around the plug/boot), push that into the motor, twist the boot till it pops, then pull.

And if your replacing plugs AND wires, cut the wire and just heave on the boot :)

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pliers and a bunch of hard pulls, twists

B

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pliers and a bunch of hard pulls, twists

B

x2. Just some 1$ dollar store pliers will do the trick. Grab the boot low, squeeze some, then pull. I had to switch on both engines, when I did my swap, used same plugs, after I ohmed out the used irdium spark plugs the used engine came with. Truck purrs, lol.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you end up using Eagle, I've gotta do the same thing to my '04 VW Jetta and the plugs are on solid and in a bad location!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayden with 2011 y